Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

College PA System Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

xheavenlyx

I have gone through the basics and google for more information on Speaker broadcasting systems in large buildings but I did not find solid technical information I was looking for so here is my doubt.

Scenario :

A large building (my college) has about 200 aprox rooms. Each room has one speaker connected to the buildings PA system.

Requirement and Doubt :

Is it possible to 'wire on' an mp3 player or another audio source to just any ONE speaker in the whole system from any room?

What must be the power output of my amp thats being connected to the mp3 player and the 'wired' speaker?

Condition :

I dont plan to do anything devastating, its just curiosity in one part, and the relaxing music on the other - which I plan to play, if I do.

My next step is to look for the room with this system, and talk to the engineer there (they are cooperative sometimes)...hopefully it has no cameras. since our college is watched about every 10 meters! I will let everyone know about what happens.

===============================================================================================
NOTE TO MODERATOR:
I am really sorry for posting this in the wrong section! Really, I should have seen the other threads in this section before posting it. I think here are all the tutorials and information instead of Q's. It would be OK if you move this, since I cannot delete it now.

Last edited:
Is it possible to 'wire on' an mp3 player or another audio source to just any ONE speaker in the whole system from any room?

No, not without disconnecting the speaker from the PA system distribution wiring and then it would not respond to PA messages. Tying two amp outputs together would cause damage to the amp(s).

What must be the power output of my amp thats being connected to the mp3 player and the 'wired' speaker?

Depends on the size of the speaker, the size of the room and of course how loud you like your music, but 5-10 watts would probably work fine in a dorm room.

The amplifier you add could have two inputs. One for the original PA signal (attenuated) and the second input for your music.

Then Murphy's Law says that the building catches on fire and your new amplifier is connected to the speaker in your room but it is turned off.
You burn!

audioguru said:
The amplifier you add could have two inputs. One for the original PA signal (attenuated) and the second input for your music.

Then Murphy's Law says that the building catches on fire and your new amplifier is connected to the speaker in your room but it is turned off.
You burn!

Correct, but then a speaker switch could do the same thing, and also subjected to being in the wrong position at the wrong time.

Bottom line is that the PA system is a facility safety device and should not be tampered with.

Lefty

Audioguru and retroguy, you are absolutely correct. There is no possible way I would ever imagine to mess with the PA to an extent it would misfunction in case of a "murphy's law of emergency" i.e: When you need it the most it fails you.

Well, anyway as you pointed out above, connecting two amps to a system is not very feasable and my own connected amp might blow up on my face when the hourly church-gong-sounding 1 gazzilion dB bells ring, so the best sol would be to find the PA systems main amp and find the connector type to an aux inp for that amp.

If I need to play my music in just one room I can use the available speakers built into the overhead-projectors, having a very easily accessable sterio 1/8" jack.

Thanks for the help, if I get more info on the system Ill post it soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back