Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

College Degree: A Complete Waste so far

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not the resume. I've had it reviewed by so many insiders it's unreal. Career advisers, Deans, supervisors past & present, even random recruiters at social events. People just hate my name. If I handed my resume to some guy off the street and changed the name, I guarantee you within 4 weeks their phone will be ringing like bell tower on Sunday. They said it's that good. I mean, I've only been a freelancer a couple weeks and I already finished two jobs weeks ahead of my own bids. And got my first recommendation. Could that happen if I weren't the engineer I were making myself out to be? Hell no! Yet the resume gets me nowhere.

A career agency would be nice. At Score, they said there are free agencies that are basically commissioned to the point that no one gets paid unless their clients get placed. Whether or not I really actually that depends on what they can do for me. What I really need...more than a job itself...is my background information. I've got to know why everyone's afraid to hire me.

Come on. i don't believe that! unless you're one of the top 5 leaders in Al Queda or your gpa is 0.67.

There are plenty of people with odd names who are gainfully employed.
What I was saying is I'm despised as soon as they see my identify.

Look at it this way: when normal people send in a resume, their recruiter goes through the background/reference checks, looks at their experience, and makes a decision based on their merits. I don't have that luxury. To them, I'm a monster. A thing no one wants to look at or deal with.

That's why I need this background check. When I have the money saved up, it will do things. It will reveal the truth behind the past 7 months. Why no one wants to hire me. Why everyone wants to see me poor. And second, it will let me deal with the real monsters who caused my suffering.

Yet more proof the industry is being coached to avoid me:

In the past 3 weeks, I hand-picked three engineering firms across the US out of a pool that began 100 strong. All publicly traded. After profiling them with Lexis-Nexis, I was confident that all 3 corned different sectors of the tech market, and were neither affiliates nor competitors.

In the second week, I emailed in 3 identical copies of my resume to Company A, Company B, and Company C. Then waited for a non-automated response from Company A, waited another 8 days, insulted the job recruiter in a reply (hear me out...), then waited again. This is what I observed the next morning:
  • 9AM - Automated rejection from company A
  • 10AM - Automated rejection from company B
  • 3PM - Automated rejection from company C
...That's right, clear the way: your smoking gun has just arrived. We all hate to think that collusion, slander, and blacklisting were still going on in America, but this paints quite a picture. And look at how close A and B's timing is. :lol: Anyone play darts? Anyone? Cause that's one hell of a grouping! And the I-told-you-so's? They're are on backorder.

Well, if you believe in fate, like a divine entity in charge of things. Judging from a previous post you made you have already begun carving out your nitch. Entrepreneur. Allot of us are doing it these days. We have to compete with Chinese engineers who get paid about 1/20th what we get paid thanks to our illustrious gov't out sourcing all our jobs. The high tech industry is the fastest exported field today. You sound pretty sharp and can do the work. I would focus more of my time in that region of the business. It has it down sides like not the greatest wages etc., but you have more flexibility and more creative skills involved keep it interesting.

The most-hated young engineer in America.
How can you expect someone to hire a person who is so famously paranoid? I normally feel that honesty is the best policy, but some things don't need to be broadcast quite so openly.

If your self-hatred was marketable, you would be wealthy.

I am just wondering. What have you done that makes you think you have been blacklisted?

I am realy get a bit tired of reading this thread I think and expressed it already a few times that it is probably something at the posters side that prevent him from getting the things he want (does he realy know what he want???) It's still an question unanswerd

as he is at this time only use his energy to take a revench, he will only spiraling downwards

Sad but true

Robert-Jan

I understand and get what you are saying Jan but consider this, we all have a choice as to read a post or not :)

Hi mike
i do have the choice of reading this post or not and I do know

it's just to point out that no mater what your input is it will not change anything in the posters situation as he is clearly not intressted to look at a constructive way to solve his problem (starting with to have a different attitude towarts it)

he is focusing all his energy in doom thingking and result from that in conspiricies against him on this subject

whatever somebody will say he will not see and probably don't want to see

you can't help a person that don't want to be helped

I wonder what he whas expecting when he start this thread.

help ??? there where more than enough sugestions and helpfull post in this thread

pitty ???? this is life, deal with it we all have to do

I pitty him that he is not smart enough to step over it and take the good advices from this thread and make something of his life

as you will agree with me there is nobody else that will do it for you (you only might get some help) and he did in this thread

attention??? that's an ego problem, still than if you see this thread he did sure get the attention

Robert-Jan

It's a shame to read this kind of stuff. To the initial poster, why not take some of the very good advice given in this thread by people that are totally objective to your situation? You do have to make something of your life and this is the first step. You asked for help and it seems to me like you got it, but are unwilling to listen.

"In the second week, I emailed in 3 identical copies of my resume to Company A, Company B, and Company C. Then waited for a non-automated response from Company A, waited another 8 days, insulted the job recruiter in a reply (hear me out...), then waited again. This is what I observed the next morning:

* 9AM - Automated rejection from company A
* 10AM - Automated rejection from company B
* 3PM - Automated rejection from company C

...That's right, clear the way: your smoking gun has just arrived. "
DigiTan
One thing to keep in mind is that engineers move around quite a bit these days but they keep friendships and email one another - still go out for drinks... When I got my job I didn't realize it but there was allot of emailing going on between old buddies that had worked with me in the past and I have tried to always be a straight shooter and not burn bridges (even when I have felt that I was wronged). I found this out later and was one of the reasons I was hired. I noticed that you "insulted" the one job recruiter from company "A" this kind of stuff gets around and can haunt you later on. It is very tough starting out so getting your foot in the door to make a good name for yourself is very important also a more positive outlook will show on you. Good luck and keep your chin up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back