Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Coil

Status
Not open for further replies.
A coil acts like a resistor to AC. The coil can be tuned to be zero resistance to all frequencies but the one frequency you want to block or it can do just the opposite it can block all frequencies but the one you want to allow to pass through. An LC circuit is a tuned circuit. There are AC choke coils that are used for current limiting and their are radio frequency coils.

This is kind of a stupid question, but in circuitry, what role does a coil take? What does it do?

Depends on what kind of coil there are many.

Toroid:

Inductors:

Resistors: Are wound coil devices used to influence circuits.

Coils as you can see come in different forms and for different purposes.

If I could go on it would take pages upon pages to identify.

Edited: For Post Correction.

Last edited:
Depends on what kind of coil there are many.

Toroid: They will amplify voltage.
Please explain.

How will a toroidal coil amplifier rhe voltage any more than any other kind of coil?

How will a toroidal coil amplifier rhe voltage any more than any other kind of coil?
A toroid may or may not produce a voltage higher than the supply - just like any other coil may or may not produce a voltage higher than the supply.
But in general a toroid is wound on a metallic core that has a higher permeability than air and if the supply (voltage) is turned off abruptly, the magnetic energy contained in the core will collapse quickly and produce a voltage of opposite polarity to the energising voltage.

A toroid may or may not produce a voltage higher than the supply - just like any other coil may or may not produce a voltage higher than the supply.
But in general a toroid is wound on a metallic core that has a higher permeability than air and if the supply (voltage) is turned off abruptly, the magnetic energy contained in the core will collapse quickly and produce a voltage of opposite polarity to the energising voltage.

colin555

I used to have to wind toroid's they were rather large, now I understand what was happening.

I think.

We had a voltage of 700v on a cable pass through a toroid, the cable was part of a trolley system. But, during R&D I was told to rap 6 turns down from 8 turns I always thought it was reducing voltage.

My reasoning was the wire is used to deliver voltage and data to the trolley I don't remember a transformer on the trolley. The trolley was fitted with a motor which could turn in both directions. It's been a long time since I worked there but the receiver board controlling the motor actions was a 12v system.

Do you think the toroid was acting as the return of communication from the board as an Ack/Nack from the board sending response to the command completing packet verification?

Edit: I have corrected my Post above.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back