Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

CNC Transformer HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iawia

Hi,

A friend of mine just purchased a Fadal CNC machine and put it in his garage. Thinking that the electrical hookup would not be a big deal from three phase 208v to household single phase 220v, it was too good of a machine to pass on so it was purchased.

Now there is some confusion on how to hook the machine up and there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of information about the transformer(s) online within the machine. We are a little timid to just hook it up to 220 household and see what happens. Do anyone believe this would be an issue? Is there a way to change the jumper settings so it will able to utilize 220v single phase based on the attached images? I am a mechanical guy and not very good with electrical transformer understanding. I mean, the diagram states 210v & 230v, but three phase? Ive never heard of 210 or 230 3 phase.

Ive heard of 3 phase inverters and such but we are trying to get out of this without burning anymore cash.

I hope someone here can help. Thanks.

IMG_3660.JPG
IMG_3658.JPG
IMG_3659.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3656.JPG
    IMG_3656.JPG
    314.4 KB · Views: 260
  • IMG_3657.JPG
    IMG_3657.JPG
    267 KB · Views: 260
  • IMG_3661.JPG
    IMG_3661.JPG
    339 KB · Views: 260
I think it should be quite simple, the three phase is usually just for 3ph motors such as spindle etc.
If you scrap the transformer and bring in 240v 1ph and install a VFD for the 3ph motor, all the rest is most likely 1ph control and controller etc.
You may have a 1ph transformer in the enclosure for this.
You have to find out what else is 1ph on the machine and what voltage.
Do you have machine drawings?
What make/type of CNC control is fitted?
One down side is IF the largest motor is 7hp then you may not find a VFD for 240v 1ph input.
210/230 3ph is quite common.
That is a large machine for home use.
Max.

My first thoughts were that you would need a 3 phase supply.

But, most of the motors are probably variable speed, driven from the electronics within the cabinet and so are not worried whether the incoming supply is single phase or three phase.
Maybe only the coolant motor is driven directly from the incoming supply.

The rating plate states that the full load current for the unit is 40amps. This is rather a lot and you could overload the incoming household supply when this is added to the existing household load.

Without a wiring schematic of the unit, this is of course all conjecture.
More information needed for a definitive answer.

Nice looking machine. :)

JimB

I tend to agree, I think it may be more prudent to clean it up and turn it around for a profit and pick up something more home garage sized.
If you were to use a RPC to run the machine this would increase the already high total current draw considerably.
Max.

That Toshiba unit looks like a spindle drive, you may have a problem with 1ph power on that, likewise the servo amps.
Max.

I think it should be quite simple, the three phase is usually just for 3ph motors such as spindle etc.
If you scrap the transformer and bring in 240v 1ph and install a VFD for the 3ph motor, all the rest is most likely 1ph control and controller etc.
You may have a 1ph transformer in the enclosure for this.
You have to find out what else is 1ph on the machine and what voltage.
Do you have machine drawings?
What make/type of CNC control is fitted?
One down side is IF the largest motor is 7hp then you may not find a VFD for 240v 1ph input.
210/230 3ph is quite common.
That is a large machine for home use.
Max.
I would agree, you can try the 240 3 phase setup and connect to 1p and 3p and see what happens it may power on but driving the spindle probally wont go. there may be a lockout if a phase drops though. Lookup a 2 phase to 3 phase coverter, it uses alot of run caps but it might do the job.

hmm. 3 phase? usually 3 breaker set up, the capacitors are all ready installed as it appears. It looks like the 2 Main blue leads plus the grey conduit lead seems an similar issue was faced on its original connection method.

Might want to find out the voltage operated from, where it came from. That configuration may all ready be wired inside the cabin xempt for the initial hook up method, out right not sure. 3 phase driven to 2 via capacitors?

https://www.fadalcnc.com/tech-docs
https://www.fadalcnc.com/tech-docs
bottom page, transformers document.

That's a bit much for me to help with.

nice easy to use machine, a good one for home use. When we'd lose one of the 3-phase legs, they would not run....
and FADAL stands for "Fred and David and Larry"

Hi, we did finally flip the switch. The PLCs seemed to be fine but the drives never came up as you guys have predicted. I did suggest to our group that we get rid the machine and look into 'renting' time on another guys machine but the access hours may be too much of a hassle. We are dumping another 1500 into a 3 phase converter. The other option was to generate a 3rd leg from an induction motor which seemed very interesting, but not much cheaper. Perhaps 1/2 the cost of a real one where all phases are 120 degrees apart as opposed to 180 degrees. That would result in a noisy and inefficient machine. Besides, we can probably resell the converter if we ever move it onto a real 3 phase system. We will keep trying here!

A RPC or Rotary Phase Convertor (3ph motor) Does produce 3 ph 120° apart when using 1ph 240v. ;)
Max.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back