Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

CNC Engraver for making pcb's

Status
Not open for further replies.

dr pepper

Most Helpful Member
OK so I've made pcb's before, I've also worked with G code cnc machines.
But never on an engraver.
What sort of setup would I need?, I see engraved pcb's just take out a minimal amount of copper instead of etching a load away.
Would I need special design software, or some sort of post processor to make engraver compatible files.

If you look at the Gerber file, is has X,Y coordinates similar to a G code, you would need to obtain a Gerber interpreter to use these on a engraver.
Max.

can you link to the engraver? is it the small cnc type? I use mach 3 and cad cam software on a cnc, I cant do pcb's on mine mainly because I buy cheap thin pcb boards of non uniform thickness (I am a skin flint)

OK so I've made pcb's before, I've also worked with G code cnc machines.
But never on an engraver.
What sort of setup would I need?, I see engraved pcb's just take out a minimal amount of copper instead of etching a load away.
Would I need special design software, or some sort of post processor to make engraver compatible files.
I think you can use DesignSpark pcb software. There are a bunch of supported outputs including pen plotter - I would imagine that is similar to what you will need - I think the HPGL code is fairly close to G-code as well. If not, look deeper, I know someone used DesignSpark and one of the output types recently.

Also, the flood fill lets you fill all of the un-cut areas and just leave engraver traces and islands.

This is the one I did today. It turned out perfect.
About 200 holes & didn't break a drill.
40 minutes to cut the traces & 25 minutes to drill the holes.

Light Show circuit board.jpg

Thats pretty good.
On a sensitive circuit you could put some links in to ground all mass sections.
I'm creating a list of possible software and will look into each one.
Having all the holes drilled for you is a bonus.
Just out of interest what did you use for a cutter, how much are they and how long do they last.

These are the engraving bits that I use.
**broken link removed**
Cutting 0.010" deep at up to 15 inches per minute. As you can see from that board, they leave nice clean edges. I didn't clean it up at all.

I use drill bits like these.
**broken link removed**
PCB G code, https://pcbgcode.com/ gives you an option to center mark each hole with the engraving tool. I use that so those tiny drill bits don't wander & break.

I haven't worn any of them out but I have only made 4 boards.

OK, so not that expensive.
I wonder if the carbide is 1st or 2nd, still they arent expensive.
I have worn out a few 0.8 bits drilling boards by hand, I used to be able to sharpen then when I was still able to see well enough.

Having etched my own and having had them made with a solder mask and overlay I can say all the troubles have been with the ones I've etched myself, I had a batch of photo board that sort of turned into chequers part way through etching, and left some tiny lines of copper shorting ic pads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back