Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

cmos programable "divide by N"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone out there have experiance with the CD4059AE?
I'm having trouble understanding the DATA sheet. I am building a Hydrogen generator and there are two basic circuits. One drives the electrodes and the other drives a coil. The coil is supposed to have a frequency that is 1000 times less than the electrodes. Maybe the "Divide by N" is the wrong component. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Anyone out there have experiance with the CD4059AE?
I'm having trouble understanding the DATA sheet. I am building a Hydrogen generator and there are two basic circuits. One drives the electrodes and the other drives a coil. The coil is supposed to have a frequency that is 1000 times less than the electrodes. Maybe the "Divide by N" is the wrong component. Any suggestions?

hi jc,
Can you post a drawing, showing the 4059 divider section, its difficult to guess what the problem may be from your description.:)

To attach a drawing use the 'Manage Attachments' button lower down the 'reply' window.

Yes, please add more detail.. if you need divide by 1000, a standard binary counter won't work because your ratio is not a power of 2.

2^10 = 1024. If that is an acceptable division, then your circuit can be made simpler. If you need precisely 1000 then it can be done but it involves more parts potentially.

The 4059 can indeed be programmed to divide by 1000 (actually any number up to 15,999).

Be aware, however, that the output count not a square-wave but is one clock pulse wide. Thus if you use a 1000Hz clock and divide it by 1000 you will get a 1ms pulse once per second. If you need a square-wave output you can set the counter to divide by 500 and run the output through a toggle flip-flop. This will divide by 2 with 50% duty-cycle to give a total division of 1000 with equal high and low time.

But as Optikon noted if you you can live with a 1024 divide ratio then it's simplier just to use 10-bits of binary count (use three 4-bit counters and take the output from the 10th bit). This will also give you a square-wave output.

Thank you all for your imput. I do not have to have an exact division. I believe that the division of 1024 would work just fine. As soon as I can get my drawing in the proper format I'll post it.

Suppose you use a 74HCT4060 or 74HCT4020 for this divide by 1024 function. Be cautious here because a Texas Instruments TI 74HCT4060 datasheet has different output frequency labels/texts compared to a Phillips/NXP Semiconductor 74HCT4060 datasheet. Similarly, a TI 74HCT4020 datasheet has different output frequency/labels compared to a Phillips/NXP 74HCT4020 datasheet. Just look at pin 1 of each datasheet/chip. One says Q12 and the other datasheet says Q11. But they're both the same chips (same function/features internally)... it's just the datasheet that may confuse you when you try to pick the correct Q-something pin to use for your circuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back