Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

CMOS controlled laptop cooling pad - schematics verification

Status
Not open for further replies.

konradIC13

Hello,

The project I showed in my previous post have expanded a bit.
Im trying to upgrade my laptop cooling pad to something bigger. It will consist of 3 sets of fans (2 + 2 +1), RGB led indicator and 3 SPDT switches to contol fans.

There will be 4 modes of work:
- S1+S2
- S3+S4 S5
- S1+S2 S3+S4
- S1+S2 S3+S4 S5

Each state of work will be indicated by diffrend color from RGB Led:
- yellow R+G
- white R+G+B
- cyan G+B
- magenta R+B

Problems:
- powering circuit - the estimated current maximum current draw will be approx 1.5A (inlcuding fans, leds, CMOS IC and transistors)
Firstly i planned to power it directly from USB port but its impossible since USB gives max 500mA even if i would use multiple ports it would be uncomfortable.

Also i wanted to power it from LiPo 7.8v battery pack but there was another problem - voltage stabiliser, it would have to give 1.5A and it would have to be LDO stabiliser, i have found several on internet but they are not avaliable to buy in my country ( in quantities <100 ) and those LDO that are avaliable are expensive and have lower current rating.

Then an idea came to my mind. Is it possible to have 2 work modes? In one, when circuit is powered from USB port, the S1+S2 are working without any control but when you attach extra power (and the USB is cut off either automatically or you manually unplug it) the circuit is fully operational with 3 switch control + led and all the logic functions etc. The other power source would be propably 5V stabilised supply. It would be great but unfortunatly i cant think of anything that would let me make it work that way. Also

- schematic verification (the logic funcitons are 100% fine no need to check that) - i have already made some changes in schematic since i last published it here, all logic chips are connected and are preforming nessesary logic functions. The swithing transistors for fans are IRF3711 (again i tried to find something cheaper and more suited to my project that will be logic level mosfet but other are either more expensive or they are not avaliable ._.), the switching transistor that controls RGB LED are 2n2222 that are connected to each of diode katode (there is one anode and 3 katodes). The values of resistors, are they fine? Especially those that are responsible for good transistor work. Did i miss something?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back