Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Cloud storage: what if.....?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alec_t

Most Helpful Member
Quite generous amounts of cloud storage are currently available free for personal use, but is it wise to rely on it?
1) Under the T&C there is no guarantee of safe or permanent storage.
2) Moreover, having hooked us on using it, what if at some future date the holders of our personal data suddenly decide to levy an extortionate charge for its storage or retrieval? Electro-ransom?

I use only one (Amazon Kindle cloud) cautiously for photo accessibility to my other Kindles, notably the one that is my 95 yo Mom's (she loves her pictures!).

I don't think a hack (or any nefarious use) of that data will result in much of anything.

ALL my other data is locally stored. If I were to find myself at some remote location, without access to any of that data, I'd do without.

May be my lifestyle, but I am, thus far, not a slave to digital data requiring cloud access and I hope to keep it that way.

There's already enough of my net usage data out there to encourage me to avoid adding to it...

I have a USB hard drive for backup. It will fail some time. "no guarantee of safe or permanent storage"

I have a parallel port tape backup. PCs do not come with parallel ports (that will work). Where can you find tapes? "no guarantee of safe or permanent storage"

Everything gets hacked at some point. Even my computer at home.

I certainly don't store anything sensitive in the cloud at the mo, but it can be convenient for sharing the occasional family photo or whatever, rather than posting things on Farcebook (which I detest). As for security, like Ron I use a USB hard drive; plus various memory sticks for multiple backups of anything I deem important. Belt and braces. I really should have off-site copies, though, in case the house burns down. Now if only there was some free cloud storage available .......:D

You can use your own web site where you can post pictures or whatever. People used to do that. I don't see how it's different from the cloud service, except, perhaps, the speed - your own web site is likely to be several times faster.

BTW, data in the cloud is stored in how many different disks at a certain moment?

Quite generous amounts of cloud storage are currently available free for personal use, but is it wise to rely on it?
1) Under the T&C there is no guarantee of safe or permanent storage.
2) Moreover, having hooked us on using it, what if at some future date the holders of our personal data suddenly decide to levy an extortionate charge for its storage or retrieval? Electro-ransom?

I like Dropbox because it keeps my files in the cloud, but I also have local (synchronized) copies of the files on every computer I need to. So theres no problem for me to stop using dropbox at any time.. I still have my files. I would not like to use a cloud service which keeps my files only in the cloud server.

I would not like to use a cloud service which keeps my files only in the cloud server.
Nor me. Do Chromebooks rely mainly on Google cloud services? I understand they have only limited on-board storage.

God I feel stupid....

Cloud storage where I am here means rain. Maybe the Guys living in the "hub" in Johannesburg feel differently or maybe know more :(

All I know being here in this place I live in has made me a bit dumber than before I chose to help out here.
Tonight is going to be a noisy night. The end of the Month and all. And everything that has earned enough money to have a beer or go do something will do it tonight.

Back to Cloud storage... apparently, it is going to rain here tomorrow. Skies are dark.

That's the word on the street.

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back