Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

closed loop controller that receives set point updates TXRX

Status
Not open for further replies.

usacanbiteme

Im no electronics genius but I know whats possible.Please excuse my ignorance when it comes to details in your area of expertise .
So here it goes:
I need to better understand how to aquire or specify a controller for a closed loop servo system. Heres how i think I want the system to look.
Ive got a contained volume of air that i must maintain at 8psi. Due to enviormental variances the temp. of that vessel fluxuates changing psi inside. the volume is around 55 gallons so small poppoff valves to relieve the extra pressure dont have the orfice to flow enough in my time allowance. i would use a bigger popoff but its too hard to control small amounts of pressure relief. also dirt tends to make a pop[off valve thats lightly sprung enough to be sensitive ] flakey and unreliable.
So my solution is to use a pressure sensor which is outputing the millivolt signal to a controller which is looking at the pressure samples and comparing them to a set point. Let's say 8 psi. If 8 is the set point and my vessel is reaching 9psi due to temp. The controller at some specified point would tell a soleniod to open and exhaust out some excess pressure untill the sensor tells the controller to tell the valve/solenoid to close . Once back at 8 psi everybody is happy.
One step further: If the pressure drops below 8psi to an un acceptable level,the sensor tells mr. controller who then inturn tells solenoid #2 to open and let in some air from a higher pressure supply.
If im dragging on here im sorry. And if all this is easy then one step more:
I want to be able to remotely through a two channel transmitter change the set point. the reciever want to be integrated with the controller to package nicely. All this basicaly allowing me to say change the set point on the transmitter from a voltage relating to 8psi to say 7 psi and thereby send a signal to the RX /controller who then tells the exhust solenoid to open . Relieved of the old set point's psi ,the system then monitors and maintains the new set point untill i change it again.
All this must be small.

if this is too much to discuss on this board I am willing to pay for any consultation which helps me attain my goal.

Re: closed loop controller that receives set point updates T

usacanbiteme said:
Im no electronics genius but I know whats possible.Please excuse my ignorance when it comes to details in your area of expertise .
So here it goes:
I need to better understand how to aquire or specify a controller for a closed loop servo system. Heres how i think I want the system to look.
Ive got a contained volume of air that i must maintain at 8psi. Due to enviormental variances the temp. of that vessel fluxuates changing psi inside. the volume is around 55 gallons so small poppoff valves to relieve the extra pressure dont have the orfice to flow enough in my time allowance. i would use a bigger popoff but its too hard to control small amounts of pressure relief. also dirt tends to make a pop[off valve thats lightly sprung enough to be sensitive ] flakey and unreliable.
So my solution is to use a pressure sensor which is outputing the millivolt signal to a controller which is looking at the pressure samples and comparing them to a set point. Let's say 8 psi. If 8 is the set point and my vessel is reaching 9psi due to temp. The controller at some specified point would tell a soleniod to open and exhaust out some excess pressure untill the sensor tells the controller to tell the valve/solenoid to close . Once back at 8 psi everybody is happy.
One step further: If the pressure drops below 8psi to an un acceptable level,the sensor tells mr. controller who then inturn tells solenoid #2 to open and let in some air from a higher pressure supply.
If im dragging on here im sorry. And if all this is easy then one step more:
I want to be able to remotely through a two channel transmitter change the set point. the reciever want to be integrated with the controller to package nicely. All this basicaly allowing me to say change the set point on the transmitter from a voltage relating to 8psi to say 7 psi and thereby send a signal to the RX /controller who then tells the exhust solenoid to open . Relieved of the old set point's psi ,the system then monitors and maintains the new set point untill i change it again.
All this must be small.

if this is too much to discuss on this board I am willing to pay for any consultation which helps me attain my goal.

Your approach to relieving pressure sounds reasonable.
Controlling the solenoid seems like a simple on/off controller.

A microcontroller can operate the solenoid driver circuit. the uC can accept the setpoint input and use a built in A/D to attain the pressure reading. Then simple algorithm can do the on/off control to maintain a pressure within some error band. The control loop is very much like a home furnace/thermostat system except with pressure.

The remote control thing..my suggestion would be to find a commercial transceiver pair that allows one to send a digital word. This you can interface to the uC for setpoint adjustment.

Your application reminds me of the balloon-bombs Japan released in WW2.5 (Hitler started WW2.0) with their aim at USA. A few actually completed the very long trip and blew-up in farmers' fields. They had a pop-off valve to release hydrogen if they got too high, and an altimeter to drop weights if they got too low. I can't remember what they used as a 9-day timer, but it certainly wasn't a 555. :lol:

I'm glad I'm not asking to much. Now who do I go to do schematic design and specify components. Any takers?
Also the origanal plan was to utilize hobby off the shelf radio components. Instead of a servo plugged into the rx the controller idealy would be designed around the 4 -6 volt variance signal the rx outputs. The stuff is so cheap and small these days. Any thoughts on that?

audioguru said:
Your application reminds me of the balloon-bombs Japan released in WW2.5 (Hitler started WW2.0) with their aim at USA. A few actually completed the very long trip and blew-up in farmers' fields. They had a pop-off valve to release hydrogen if they got too high, and an altimeter to drop weights if they got too low. I can't remember what they used as a 9-day timer, but it certainly wasn't a 555. :lol:

Yes I've heard of those... novel idea but poorly implemented. Wonder how many got tangled in power lines..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back