Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Clones

Status
Not open for further replies.

AtomSoft

Where does everyone stand on cloning a device ?

I am planning on making a clone of a device. Let use PICKIT 2 as a example.

If i clone the pickit 2 thought wise only meaning...

The hardware is totally different and firmware is different but allows you to still use the software ... MPLAB in this example.

Is doing this wrong? Would i get in trouble ?

REMEMBER PICKIT 2 is used as a EXAMPLE here, it is not the device in question

Last edited:
It's illegal because the manufacturer most likely patented their software. Even if they didn't, it's copywrite.

But the software isnt being edited in anyway. Neither is the hardware or firmware. Its my own custom device. Just lets you use there software

Last edited:
I really don't think there much new under the SUN. Maybe better in some way,but there a lot of smart people with great ideas. I took apart a toy that had Ir control's It had a 12F675 in it and the hex matched some code that I posted here.

Make it better and sell that better There toy was a lot better then the one I made LOL

Both of you--I think the word you want is "their", not "there". There is a difference, you know.

There, there.

You know after all these years I would think i would have that down pat But who cares It still reads the same just one less word to write

But what if you applied the same carelessness to electronics? "Hey, it works the same without that resistor--just leave it out!"

That's the reason where bad spellers to busy figuring resistor and reading data sheets for lazy people that can't put two and two together

If I had wanted to be a writer I'll write a book. But most writers are just that writers

Last edited:
That's the reason where bad spellers to busy figuring resistor and reading data sheets for lazy people that can't put two and two together

If I had wanted to be a writer I'll write a book. But most writers are just that writers

Perfectly put! At least its not like its actual spelling issue like if we wrote "Thear" instead of "They're" :)

If you clone a device you may well infringe someone's patent. A patent is usually drafted with claims in broad terms. Using the PK2 example, let's suppose the PK2 is protected by a valid patent with a claim which reads "A device for programming a microcontroller, having a first port for connection to the microcontroller via a socket, a second port for connection to a PC, and a data processing unit coupled to both ports.". Any clone falling within the scope of that claim will infringe the patent, even though the hardware and/or software is different from that actually used in the original PK2.
Be aware that patent lawsuits can be VERY expensive!

Alec

I doubt a patent can be that broad. How about if there is no patent on the device ? And the software doesnt contain any copyright or anything like that in the program itself.

Last edited:
In reality a valid patent wouldn't be that broad. This was only an example to point out the problem of infringement. If there is indeed no patent covering the device (you would have to do a full-scale search to determine this, since it could be patented in more than one country) then you are free to clone it, providing you don't infringe some other intellectual property right (such as a Design right).
As for software copyright, that is automatic in the UK at least, but has to be applied for in many jurisdictions.

Alec

Ok ill go ahead and spit it out so i can get more info. I am planning on doing a custom version of the saleae logic... But using there software. Basically i make my own device which one can plug in to there pc and using only saleae software with no modifications to software or any hardware. Basically i would use a pic24 ... There mcu is a cypress. I dont know there firmware or anything. Right now i have a device made using the pic18f2550 which shows up as a logic and connects to there software and communicates. All i need is a tiny bit more space for buffer which is where the pic24 comes into place.

Saleae has no copyright on software itself.. I mean there is no mentin. Even if i click properties there is no copyright, there is no about window with a copyright. There is no patent from what i can search.

What are your thoughts?

If you are using their firmware you will need a software licence from them.

Alec

Logic started as open source and then they closed the door They will sue your butt off

They will sue his butt off Atom email them ask before you get to deep.

wait. Im not using there firmware or anything from them but WINDOWS SOFTWARE which is NOT EDITED IN ANYWAY

YOU BUY MY DEVICE, DOWNLOAD THEIR SOFTWARE

My DEVICE does NOT have anything to do with there firmware. Just kind of mimics it or dare i say FOLLOWS THE SAME PROTOCOL

Last edited:
Hi Jason,

I briefly looked into this when I saw some Chinese clones on sale on Ebay, before Saleae sold/distributed from the UK. They were selling hardware clones using the same base chipset as the Saleae and then linking to the Saleae website for the software download.
Not very ethical, as it means the end user is breaking the Saleae software licence agreement which can be found on the second page of the software installation wizard.

saleae-png.55325

How vigorously this is enforced I guess is down to Saleae LLC.

Regards,
Leftfield95.

Attachments

• Saleae.PNG
    Saleae.PNG
    22.7 KB · Views: 343
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back