Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Clear PCB

Status
Not open for further replies.

JonB

As title, is it possible to create a pcb on glass or perspex?
If so is it possible in low volumes or can they be made at home?

I need as transparent a result as possible (apart from the tracks)
If i go surface mount only components then it might be possible single sided.

Anyone come across this?

Thanks.

Jon

Sounds intriguing. You could glue copper foil to glass or perspex and then etch it as usual? You did say low quantity.

A laminates supplier may have something similar you can order.

How are you going to handle the heat of soldering? The plastic will melt, at soldering temperatures, correct?

There are conductive products like, "trace repairing pen". I think a conductive glue could be found to hold the smt pieces. Time to check with google.

I tried making a faceplate using the clear PCB technique last year. Copper foil epoxied on Perspex and etched. Kinda worked. But I decided to go with laser etching/milling instead.

Thanks for the pointers, I might try perspex with some sort of stick on tracking & glue to hold the components in. I am thinking of through hole & the electronics off this board on a more conventional circuit board.

Jon.

I think your best bet is to laminate copper foil to your substrate, then etch.

But, you might be able to etch the silver coating from a mirror with a suitable etchant. Then, conductive epoxy to attach the surface-mount components. I've never tried it, but it might work... The silver on the mirror isn't very thick though, so it wouldn't be able to carry much current.

Wire wrap may be an option if the circuit isn't too complicated.

If the circuit was too complex, the wire wrap scheme would likely negate the clarity of the PCB substrate.

Another suggestion:

Draw the traces with silver laquer and "cold solder" the parts on the traces.

Cold solder is dispensed as liquid and bonds parts to the silver trace with full conductivity.

Boncuk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back