Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Clean (semi-)regulated power from car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I'm looking to build a small power supply for some LED lighting in my pickup. My main concern is making sure the power stays at or below +12V (if it sags to ~10.5-11V I'm not worried about that) and spikes/noise/etc endemic to automotive power are filtered out.

Would it be sufficient to have a 15V zener across the input along with a couple filter caps (1000μF/50V + 0.33μF/50V), running into an LM7812CT (TO-220) with a 0.1μF/50V bypass cap on the output? Would it be beneficial to add a third mid-range capacitor (~100-220μF) in the filter cap set? The power draw will not exceed 1A, so with the 15V zener, the 7812 should never have to dissipate more than 3W.

I know I could use a LDO regulator to reduce sags when running directly off the battery (~12.8V), but I've tested the LEDs on a 10V power supply and they work just fine, and I have a bucketful of LM7812s on hand already so I figure I'd make use of them if possible.

Thanks!

For simply lighting LED's I would suggest there's no need for any precautions at all - the environment in a car isn't as bad as you might think, and LED's are sturdy things anyway. A 7812 is no use in a car anyway, you don't have enough voltage for it to work.

Well looking closer at the module, I'm wondering if maybe it has a buck (or buck/boost?) converter built-in. Can someone confirm whether this is the case? If so, how resilient do you figure it will be in an automotive installation? I'd like it to last for years -- ideally the life of the truck -- which is why I was looking at filtering the input, so there'd be less work for the onboard electronics to do (and thus less heat generated and a longer lifespan).

led_module.jpg

The coil has "470" on it
the six small black bits (diodes?) have a vertical line marking followed by "S4"
the resistor above the IC-type thing says "R500" (500Ω resistor?)
the IC itself looks like it says "EQC3G"

4 of the diodes are so that the lamp works either way round in the fitting.

It looks like a buck regulator that controls the current in the LED. The inductor is almost certainly 47 μH. The resistor is 0.5 Ω and will be the current sense resistor. I guess the IC is a dedicated LED driver.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back