Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

clean 12vdc car power

Status
Not open for further replies.

StealthRT

I am looking to get a constant, clean 12v from my cars 12v line. I am wondering if all I am in need of to pull this off would be a simple 12v fixed regulator?

The 12v would be hooked up to a pico motherboard (19v max input), 7" lcd monitor and an arduino.

I did find this schematic here:
**broken link removed**

So would a simple regulator be good or not? Will it need a heat sink?

hi RT,

Where did you get that circuit.??

No way will you get 12Vout for 12Vin.

What current do you need for the 12Vout.?

E

Stealth,

look for an IC regulator chip sold as "Low Drop Out (LDO) Automotive Voltage Regulator"

The posted circuit is crap; created by an inexperienced novice.

Sim shows V(out) on the Y-axis vs V(in) on the X-axis at load currents of 20, 40, 80, 160, and 320mA. Note that it does a crummy job of holding the voltage constant, and it only works (poorly) for load currents less than 50mA. Why the 5A fuse is there is beyond me...

Attachments

• DF72.jpg
    DF72.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:
The NUC is rated from 12v-19v. Not sure of the wattage but the old ones are rated at 65w and i have no idea how many amps. The LCD and arduino... well i really have no idea right now. Maybe 0.50amps for the LCD and less for that on the Ardunio.

Someone on another forum suggested this:
**broken link removed**

The NUC is rated from 12v-19v. Not sure of the wattage but the old ones are rated at 65w and i have no idea how many amps. The LCD and arduino... well i really have no idea right now. Maybe 0.50amps for the LCD and less for that on the Ardunio.

Someone on another forum suggested this:

Unless you need it to work while cranking the starter, you do not need a step-up converter with all of its complexity. Follow the link in my previous posting to get an automotive LDO that requires maybe two external capacitors.

A clean supply of less than 12V would be much simpler to create. As blueroomelectronics asked, why 12V?

It's for the PICO PC why not just supply the cars raw DC to the PICO since it's rated for 19V (it must have a DC/DC converter)? They do sell PICO PCs for cars with all the power supply dodads already done. You could power your Arduino off the PS/2 or USB port. Not sure why you need a full blown PC in a car. You'll also have to power the HDD. How about an Android box, Beagle board or Raspberry Pi (they have video)

What's this thing for? A backup camera (cheaper just to buy one).

PS PC operating systems aren't keen on being shut off, they do like being shut down.

Will it have proper ventilation? Are you adding an SSD? Do you need that much computing power, if so what for?

Cars are particularly nasty environments for electronics.

Will it have proper ventilation? Are you adding an SSD? Do you need that much computing power, if so what for?

Cars are particularly nasty environments for electronics.

Yes it will have proper air flow. And yes I will be using an ssd. i3 or i5 will be fine. Yes its a little overkill but its still less than a windows tablet with 80% better specs.

@eric
It's actually 12.8 to 30 VDC in. Note the 12,8.

hi kiss,
I did run a LTSpice sim at 12.8V and the Vout was still well below the expected 12Vout at a reasonable current.

If you wish I could post the sim plots, Mike also ran a sim in post #3.

Eric

EDIT:
Decided to attach the plots

Attachments

• AAesp01.gif
    AAesp01.gif
    32 KB · Views: 161
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back