Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

class question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Before posting to the homework forum, you should probably read the rules first. We do not do your homework (or classwork) for you. You need to show us what we have done so far, and we will only help you if you provide us with a reasonable attempt first. From there we can point you in the right direction, but we ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT give you the answers.

First he should learn English spelling for "claas". Maybe it is Class.

A full wave bridge (brdge?) power supply is EXTREMELY simple and thousands of them are shown in Google.

Given Frank has a CD player 12v 1amp . Design a fullwave brdge power supply. Show schematic?

hi Frank,

Show us the work you have done in trying to answer this question yourself, we can then help you further.

E

Before posting to the homework forum, you should probably read the rules first. We do not do your homework (or classwork) for you. You need to show us what we have done so far, and we will only help you if you provide us with a reasonable attempt first. From there we can point you in the right direction, but we ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT give you the answers.

Where in the Forum Rules does it say WE will NOT do Homework.?

I agree in principle that members should not give a complete answer, but only clues or hints to the OP.

If a member decides to do otherwise surely thats his choice.?

So perhaps your sentence we ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT give you the answers. should read I ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT give you the answers.

Eric

Hi,

Yes i dont mind helping with homework myself. Instead of giving the whole solution now though i just like to give a little at a time and hope the poster gets going or at least tries to follow.

Also, many thanks to whomever fixed that dang spelling error "claas" to "class" i could not stand reading that every time :)

Where in the Forum Rules does it say WE will NOT do Homework.?

I agree in principle that members should not give a complete answer, but only clues or hints to the OP.

If a member decides to do otherwise surely thats his choice.?

So perhaps your sentence we ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT give you the answers. should read I ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT give you the answers.

Eric

This post is what I was referring to.

ElectroMaster said:
The idea of this forum is to allow students, who are learning electronics to get some assistance with homework. However, please remember that we are not here to do it for you, just assist you along the way like a teacher. We will not do your work for you.

Hi,

Yes i dont mind helping with homework myself. Instead of giving the whole solution now though i just like to give a little at a time and hope the poster gets going or at least tries to follow.

Also, many thanks to whomever fixed that dang spelling error "claas" to "class" i could not stand reading that every time :)

I am more than willing to help with homework, but only if the student does some work first. If I just see a question and no attempts at the problem, then I often ignore it.

D8,

Its not a Forum Rule thats part of the Community Rules, it as I said a 'principle' that we apply as EM states.

The idea of this forum is to allow students, who are learning electronics to get some assistance with homework. However, please remember that we are not here to do it for you, just assist you along the way like a teacher. We will not do your work for you.

Even if the OP has read the Forum Rules he may not have seen this comment.

It would have been more polite to ask the OP for details of his work so far, its looks as though English is not his first language

E

D8,

Its not a Forum Rule thats part of the Community Rules, it as I said a 'principle' that we apply as EM states.

Even if the OP has read the Forum Rules he may not have seen this comment.

It would have been more polite to ask the OP for details of his work so far, its looks as though English is not his first language

E

I suppose you have a point. It still seems like something the OP should read though, as it's right on top of the homework forum and its title clearly says "Please read before posting".

Anyway, I was not necessarily referring to the Community Rules, I was referring to the specific Forum Rules, which EM discusses in that post.

Regards,
Matt

I am more than willing to help with homework, but only if the student does some work first. If I just see a question and no attempts at the problem, then I often ignore it.

Hi again,

I guess i like to be a little more gentle about these issues. I dont want to shun someone and have them turn away from the forum for good or even turn away from the subject matter. A kind suggestion goes a long way over a public scrutinizing. There is already too few of us.

I guess i cant help thinking that if i am too rude i might be pushing away the next would be Tesla given the chance :)

In a real physical school it is harder for them to turn away if we become a bit strict, but on a forum it's just a matter of them never clicking the link again.

Hi again,

I guess i like to be a little more gentle about these issues. I dont want to shun someone and have them turn away from the forum for good or even turn away from the subject matter. A kind suggestion goes a long way over a public scrutinizing. There is already too few of us.

I guess i cant help thinking that if i am too rude i might be pushing away the next would be Tesla given the chance :)

In a real physical school it is harder for them to turn away if we become a bit strict, but on a forum it's just a matter of them never clicking the link again.

You raise a very good point. I guess I can be too impatient at times. To the OP, I apologize for being rude. Please feel free to continue to post, but please remember that if you want help with homework, attempt it on your own first, then show us what you have.

Matt

Of the 818874 posts (as of 1253 US Central Time ... almost 6 hours ago) over 200,000 were made by the top posters that were publically listed. That leaves about 3 posts per user since this forum began. My guess is you will find a lot of "one and done" type posters. Has anyone looked at the membership to see how many have not posted in 92 days? Ninety-two days represents 13 weeks or three months. I know my post count is low on a per day basis (0.07) as you can see that if you clicked my name, mostly because I took a very long respite from this forum. It's back on my reading list for now.

In the homework section, I too, would prefer the rules to include the OP should post the whole question and their efforts to day (even if it's just a random group of thoughts). If they don't meet that minimum requirement, I'll typically not respond unless it's to mention those two "rules" of my own. If others have responded, I might look over the problem to see the solution.

Forums, all forums, compete for one's most precious resource ... time. No one is contracted to post here and no one certainly is paid to answer homework questions. I've seen OPs "demand" answers when they were questioned about their own efforts to do their homework. It may not have been in this forum, but it certainly has happened in a lot of venues, from NNTP newsgroups to Internet Forums. To those OPs, they are welcome to any board that has them. I don't need to participate in that forum.

It's not the members responsibility to answer any question, it's a choice. The only one's required to answer are those who offer "fee based" answers.

Of course, the other sections suffer the same, only the OPs typically "found this circuit" on the net and "Why is it not working." Again, seeking answers without some specifics. There is one thing to offer "free help", another to offer "free" design services. Only the responder get's to choose the metrics that define those two services.

Some may disagree with me and that is certainly their right.

I get the sense the OP abandoned this thread anyway. Probably just looking for answers, and when we didn't give them to him within his class period, he just quit the thread.

I get the sense the OP abandoned this thread anyway. Probably just looking for answers, and when we didn't give them to him within his class period, he just quit the thread.
It could also be said that the OP has not returned because he got such a negative response to his first ETO post.

It could also be said that the OP has not returned because he got such a negative response to his first ETO post.

That is true, assuming the OP took it as a negative response, but I don't feel requiring the OP to respect the rules is a negative response.

We could run an experiment and not respond to anyone who poses inquiries in the homework section that do not fulfill the rules ... and see what their second post would be, assuming they make a second post. In that case what would no further correspondence really indicate?

The regular members can leave it to the moderators to tell them of the "rules" for posting in the homework area ... without providing assistance germane to the problem. I have no problem following that to a t.

Last edited:
That is true, assuming the OP took it as a negative response, but I don't feel requiring the OP to respect the rules is a negative response.

We could run an experiment and not respond to anyone who poses inquiries in the homework section that do not fulfill the rules ... and see what their second post would be, assuming they make a second post. In that case what would no further correspondence really indicate?

The regular members can leave it to the moderators to tell them of the "rules" for posting in the homework area ... without providing assistance germane to the problem. I have no problem following that to a t.

hi Joe,
I would agree it would be better to let the moderators make the OP aware of the requirements of posting sufficient information in order to get a good response.

I often find a new member, especially a young one can be naive in knowing whats required by us so that we can help.
If the OP's first language is not English, I guess it would be difficult for him/her to express what they are asking.

When I get a vague 'help me' thread I try to get the OP to post more details and perhaps post a diagram, in that way hopefully we can set up a rapport with the poster and get down to helping him.

After all most of us are here to try to help wannabes, they are our future, heaven help us.

I do not see anything helpful it ranting about Forum Rules and stating 'we will NOT do your homework'.

Regards
Eric

I would agree it would be better to let the moderators make the OP aware of the requirements of posting sufficient information in order to get a good response.

You have the con. Proceed as you indicated.

I will be more careful from now on. I still don't understand why asking them to respect the rules--set out by EM in a sticky clearly labeled "Read before posting"--is wrong, but you have a point. I will try to remember to allow the mods to handle such requests from now on instead of responding myself.

Regards,
Matt

Of the 818874 posts (as of 1253 US Central Time ... almost 6 hours ago) over 200,000 were made by the top posters that were publically listed. That leaves about 3 posts per user since this forum began. My guess is you will find a lot of "one and done" type posters. Has anyone looked at the membership to see how many have not posted in 92 days? Ninety-two days represents 13 weeks or three months. I know my post count is low on a per day basis (0.07) as you can see that if you clicked my name, mostly because I took a very long respite from this forum. It's back on my reading list for now.

In the homework section, I too, would prefer the rules to include the OP should post the whole question and their efforts to day (even if it's just a random group of thoughts). If they don't meet that minimum requirement, I'll typically not respond unless it's to mention those two "rules" of my own. If others have responded, I might look over the problem to see the solution.

Forums, all forums, compete for one's most precious resource ... time. No one is contracted to post here and no one certainly is paid to answer homework questions. I've seen OPs "demand" answers when they were questioned about their own efforts to do their homework. It may not have been in this forum, but it certainly has happened in a lot of venues, from NNTP newsgroups to Internet Forums. To those OPs, they are welcome to any board that has them. I don't need to participate in that forum.

It's not the members responsibility to answer any question, it's a choice. The only one's required to answer are those who offer "fee based" answers.

Of course, the other sections suffer the same, only the OPs typically "found this circuit" on the net and "Why is it not working." Again, seeking answers without some specifics. There is one thing to offer "free help", another to offer "free" design services. Only the responder get's to choose the metrics that define those two services.

Some may disagree with me and that is certainly their right.

Hi there Joe,

First, i am happy to read your reply because it opens a new view of this kind of issue coming from another member.

From what i can gather, it appears that maybe you have read other posts across the web and found some newbies a bit obnoxious. I have to agree that some are. But i dont want to judge an unknown new member based on other nasty members from other forums or even from this one. Many new members are totally in the dark as Eric was also pointing out, and so they should at the very least be queried for more background information. If they really are obnoxious it wont be hard to tell. but i think they at least deserve a chance.

Also i'd like to point out that knowledge is not only exponential it is also usually multi-dimensional where each dimension is roughly the same size. Exponential because as knowledge is gained more advanced knowledge becomes easier to gain...we learn faster as we learn more. But that also means that the lack of knowledge is inversely exponential in that what we dont know causes us to be totally blind to some aspects of the subject matter.
And having a lack of knowledge in one area probably means a lack of knowledge in other areas.
So in short, if they dont know something about something they they probably dont know much about anything :)
This is your typical newbie, and they dont know the subject matter that well yet, dont even know how to ask questions very well yet, and sometimes dont even know what questions to even ask in the first place. They reach out in the hopes of gaining some new insight into the problem. They usually dont sit down and plan out an entire line of questioning that would most definitely lead to their answer.

So those are some other reasons why i like to cut them some slack. They are new and may not really be obnoxious, just totally in the dark. I know we all have our bad days though :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back