Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Class D output filter: ferrite bead vs. LC filter

Status
Not open for further replies.

scwhiteley

Hey out there,

So I recently put together my first class D amplifier built around the TPA3110D2 chip from Texas Instruments. Schematic here. To my dismay, when I first fired it up, it would only work at very low volumes. When the volume to the inputs was increased to normal listening levels, the amp kept going into over-current shutdown mode. After conversing with TI engineer, it was decided that the ferrite beads that I was using for output filters were saturating at the current I was trying to drive the speakers at and causing a short through the 1000pF caps that sat between the speakers outs and ground. The solution? Remove the caps, so I did (C18,19,20 & 21 gone now), and everything seems peachy. What I'm curious about now is am I missing something by not having a proper output filter on my amp? Would it sound better with a more traditional LC output filter? Would it sound any different with no filters at all? Are these output filters only in place to mitigate EMI and the like?

I supposed my question boils down to this: is it worth my time to build a redundant amp with proper LC filters and do a side by side sound comparison?

Here's a little more info on this particular setup:

Power Supply: 14.4V NiMH battery pack
Amp: TPA3110D2 15-W Filter-Free Stereo Class-D Audio Power Amp
Speakers: 2X 4Ohm 100W rated power, 4 inch.

Thanks again!
-Chad

The amp uses the inductance of the speaker as a filter. Since that's apparently sufficient, I don't think an external filter will improve the sound.

You can do a rough check of the speaker's filtering ability by measuring the supply current under no-signal conditions both with and without the speaker connected. If it doesn't change much, then the speaker inductance is adequate as a filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back