Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

clarification on Oscillators

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I have this clarification, in a micro controller there is an oscillator. The oscillator can be an external oscillator or a crystal. The output of this is the clock source to the micro controller. I studied that the clock is not the same for Flash memory, RAM memory, Core, Peripherals. why is it different for different modules and what is PLL? Does the PLL divide the clock or multiply.

Thanks and regards

Hi,

I have this clarification, in a micro controller there is an oscillator. The oscillator can be an external oscillator or a crystal. The output of this is the clock source to the micro controller. I studied that the clock is not the same for Flash memory, RAM memory, Core, Peripherals. why is it different for different modules and what is PLL? Does the PLL divide the clock or multiply.

Thanks and regards
Last question first: PLL is "Phase Locked Loop", which is an electronic scheme for:

1. assuring that the phase of a clock signal (in a microprocessor in this case) is consistant and predictable, thus assauring that the timing of actions of the processor are in complete syncrony, or happening at precisely the same moment at different parts of the processor. This is critical to the functioning of the processor

2. taking the base (primary) crystal oscillator signal and multiplying and dividing it into other frequencies (division would also involve digital dividers in the feed back loop).

Different "parts" (RAM, Core, etc.) of the microcontroller (uC) are, by design, clocked at different frequencies to suit their particular function. As you might guess, the processor of the uC is, generally, clocked at the fastest rate, primarily because it is orchestrating ALL of the various actions of the uC. Peripherals, less often called upon for action or by their very nature "slower" (like a USB, for instance) thereby require slower clock speeds.

But the entire system must be in perfect timing harmony and, thus, the need for the PLL circuit(s).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back