Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

clap switch PROBLEM HELP!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
For future ETO viewers: Allow me to make it easier for future reference: (I don't like downloading pdfs.. ;) ) This is the whole view of the document, so you won't need to download the attachment. :)

**broken link removed**

Now we'll continue. :D

For future ETO viewers: Allow me to make it easier for future reference: (I don't like downloading pdfs.. ;) ) This is the whole view of the document, so you won't need to download the attachment. :)
Disagree. PDF sheet is ok since viewer software is easilly avaiable (in contrast to .doc files that must have MS software to read).

Your picture in the other hand is a poor quality JPG image. First of all, jpg images isn't suitable for schematics because it's a losy format. PNG format is a much better choice. A good reason to use pdf format is that schematics is often formatted as scalable vector drawings where you can zoom in and out without loosing picture quality.

So: You're wrong, abhishekmantu did right :p

Now- use the time to help abhishekmantu instead of making new problems out of nothing. I should helped but unfortunately I'm not an expert on 555 circuits.

Last edited:
Disagree. PDF sheet is ok since viewer software is easilly avaiable (in contrast to .doc files that must have MS software to read).

Your picture in the other hand is a poor quality JPG image. First of all, jpg images isn't suitable for schematics because it's a losy format.

I guess the quality isn't poor, since I can read it without magnifying glasses. So the format isn't "losy" (lousy) either.

PNG format is a much better choice.

PNG format is the second best choice for schematics. Try GIF-format as well.

So: You're wrong, abhishekmantu did right :p

Did you pass children's room at the speed of an Intercity train? Basic knowledge of politeness and application thereof seem to be unknown to you! :mad:

You might say: "In my opinion you're wrong."

Now- use the time to help abhishekmantu instead of making new problems out of nothing. I should helped but unfortunately I'm not an expert on 555 circuits.

I call that an untimely exploded bomb! (in Germay we use to say "Rohrkrepierer") You're making problems without putting in any help.

My friendly advice: If you don't have to put in anything to help the OP please keep out of the business. That said concentrate on helping forum members instead of criticizing them! :mad:

Vizier87 certainly shares my opinion, but he is unfortunately a peaceful person. I'm not! :mad:

Last not least, please get yourself the latest copy of windows xp. It has a built in spell check, making posting easier! (not lousy) :D

Boncuk

Last edited:
1) The circuit is missing a very important supply bypass capacitor to prevent the CD4017 counter from wrong operation each time the 555 draws 400mA when its output switches. The datasheet for the LM555 discusses a supply bypass capacitor.
2) The CD4017 counter is missing a "power-up reset" circuit so its starting count is not predictable.
3) The value of R13 (the base resistor for the transistor) is far too high for the transistor to saturate when it tries to turn on the high current relay coil.

I don't think any circuit from that site works properly.

thanks for the reply..
where supply bypass capacitor shud b connected???

wat elz shud be done??plz help...

Last edited:
Kudos boncuk. I mean this grossell guy certainly has self esteem issues. Vizier, just continue giving good inputs....

Hi ajim_8,

I almost can't figure out the vocabulary used in your post.

Can I put "self esteem issues" being the same as attitude problems?

However I can assure you many people have preferred having me for friend rather than having me for foe.

(Can't do much against that: Traditional Prussian soldier. :) )

Vizier87 is an utmost patient person (which I'm not at all times) and I guess he hasn't deserved criticism without any foundation. :mad:

Further he's a friend of mine and defeating enemies attacking my friends is just fun for me. :D

Regards

Boncuk

Last edited:
Hi abhishekmantu, (quite something to learn :) )

I suggest following steps for a fully functioning circuit:

As already suggested by audioguru add decoupling capacitors at each IC's supply pins. For the timer ICs (NE555) add 10µF + 100nF decoupling caps as short as possible to the power supply pins (1 and 8).

Supply IC2 from the +9V rail cutting the connection between pin8 and pin4 (RESET) to connect pin8 directly to the power source. (This might take some extra current while the IC is at idle, but reduces possibible power surges when activated by IC1 - pin3 to IC2 pin4).

An IC being powered suddenly might cause a surge causing the CMOS counter IC to get false clock pulses).

Other than audioguru, I guess a power up reset for the counter is unnecessary since you will notice it isn't RESET when activating the circuit. Clapping your hands once will certainly reset it.

Regards

Boncuk

Of course the CD4017 counter needs to be reset when the power is applied to it so that it begins at a count of 0 instead of beginning at any count number. If it is not reset then you might need to clap many times before its output gets to the count of 2 that activates the output.

Of course the CD4017 counter needs to be reset when the power is applied to it so that it begins at a count of 0 instead of beginning at any count number. If it is not reset then you might need to clap many times before its output gets to the count of 2 that activates the output.

The 4017 doesn't even make any sense. Even if you have it reset on power-up, it will only work for the first on/off cycle, then you have to do a whole lotta clapping before it comes back around.

PS: Never mind, I see it's reset from the next count. Still, a rather convoluted way to do it.

Last edited:
The CD4017 has its third output (called Q2) connected to its reset pin so if it starts at Q0 then it counts to Q1 on the second clap which activates the output transistor.
I think the circuit is reset when you clap for the third time.

thanks guys ..really from bottom of my heart..you helped me a lot n i learnt a few necessary things..well now every thing in clap switch is ryt..but the condenser mic used doesnt detects the clap..rather when i tap on it vibrations occur nd ckt works..but no clap detection..plz let me which mic shud i use..currently im using condenser mic i dont kno the model no. but it is written "j50" on it..

The circuit does not use a condenser mic. It uses an electret mic that has the 48V polarizing voltage for the "condenser" built-in to its electret material.
The electret mic must be one that has two pins not one that has three pins. The ground pin connects to its metal case. If the two pins are connected backwards then its output level will be very low.

Look at the datasheet for the BC549 transistor to see which pin is which. If the collector and emitter pins are backwards then its gain will be very low.
I think the base resistors will turn on a high gain BC549 transistor all the time then the circuit will not work if you clap. Then use a lower gain BC549A or BC549B transistor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back