Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

circut for automatic rubber cutter in pieces

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nestory

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

iam a finalist in Electrical Engineering am given a task to design an
electronic circuit of an Automatic Processed Rubber cutter which cut rubber
in a specific legth for tyre construction.Suggest me a circuit diagram and
mechanism.My IDEA is ,the processed rubber will be moving along the
conveyor belt and i will have two photelectric sensor pisitioned a distance between
equal to the legth of the rubber to be cut.so when both of the photelectric
sensor are covered by the rubber(is like an AND gate) is when the contactor for cutting is actuated and rubber is cut at the left most sensor ,Then the rubber is removed and all sensors will again face the light as the result the cutting process is stoped(contact released)
the auxiliary contact will inform the belt to proceed and wait for another cycle.CAN THAT BE
POSSIBLE???KMoffett and other member PLEASE SUGGEST FOR ME A CIRCUIT DIAGRAM

Hi there,

This doesnt sound that difficult. What kinds of circuits have you already
designed to get to your final EE stage? I am asking because this doesnt
sound too difficult and i would have thought that by now you would
have worked with circuits like this. If not, that's ok i guess, but then
please tell us what you have already worked with.
Also, do you have any idea of what kind of accuracy you need in
the cut length (tolerance)?

Good luck with it too.

Last edited:
hi,
If you know where the cut is going take place on the rubber strip when its been detected by the photo detectors, why do you need two photocells.?

Position the PCell along the conveyor belt so when the leading edge of the strip is detected by the PCell the rubber gets cut into the correct length.

Its an off the shelf photecell for the detector, but I dont understand why you are asking about a mechanism.?

If the cutting machine cannot cut 'on the fly' you will have to consider the stopping time of the strip conveyor belt or use a strip feed 'looper'

I made a wire cutter for a factory. They cut wire in small variable length pieces. I used a PLC. Wire is never stopped while cutting. Mechanism is so hard to explain here. But if length is constant you can use a IR transmitter and receiver. Use these circuits as length measurement. Receiver must be connected to cutting mechanism.
You can find lots of these circuits over internet.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I would just put blades on Mikebits roller !

But I am guessing this is something that you need to design for an exam or something.

Gerry

does the circuit have to include the actual cutter, for example a hotwire?

i image a decade counter could be used to sequence the events, eg when the rubber meets the photocell, it generates a pulse, the belt stops, cutter engages, the limit switch on the cutter sends a pulse, the cutter retracts, when the cutter hits the start of travel switch, a pulse i generated, the rubber is pushed off the belt, causeing a pulse from the photocell, which resets the counter

sorry for my bad description - im not a technical person.

i would use a pic, but then again pics are soo cheap i used them for everything - im a digital person stuck in an analogue world

Well before a circuit can be designed a system design needs to be done which describes all the associated sub-systems and the specifications needed to meet the requirements. Jumping to circuits is something most of us can't help with unless you shared a lot more information about the task.

Lefty

Last edited:
Well before a circuit can be designed a system design needs to be done which describes all the associated sub-systems and the specifications needed to meet the requirements. Jumping to circuits is something most of us can't help with unless you shared a lot more information about the task.

Lefty

Well, that is why we are brainstorming and throwing out ideas.

That is a realy challenging idea!!Have solution for that?

Hi there,

This doesnt sound that difficult. What kinds of circuits have you already
designed to get to your final EE stage? I am asking because this doesnt
sound too difficult and i would have thought that by now you would
have worked with circuits like this. If not, that's ok i guess, but then
please tell us what you have already worked with.
Also, do you have any idea of what kind of accuracy you need in
the cut length (tolerance)?

Good luck with it too.
MrAl.i hav done that one,the problem is that im having all the idea on how the machine is supposed to work i would like you to suggest your own view"First of all think of the project my dear brother and then roughly draw the circuit,I would like first the circuit before callibrating the accuracy!!I think is the mechnaical engineers over here have given me enough support!!i also welcome your support about this if any!Be blessed and Welcome to East Africa

Hi again,

Well, since you said you wanted to use photoelectric sensors, i would think
you could just connect them to an op amp and perhaps a comparator,
then process the outputs with a small microcontoller chip.

Does this sounds like something you could do?
If not, what part of this sounds like you may not be able to do?

diagramatical explanation may be if possible!!

Thank you for your response to my request you seem to be seriously helping people!!Ok i again request a diagramatical explanation.About component you said i have enough ideas on the componets but too theoretical as per the nature of our college.We are having more theoretical overhere. may you draw for me circuit with components conneted for each of the action parameters as mentioned here:
1.cutting process(only to maintain cutting)-complete circuit
2.Pushing the cut rubber aside
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
challenge
1.how will the rubber be moving?will it be cut while moving??
2.if it stopes!suggest a circuit

can please put you explanation into circuit diagram

does the circuit have to include the actual cutter, for example a hotwire?

i image a decade counter could be used to sequence the events, eg when the rubber meets the photocell, it generates a pulse, the belt stops, cutter engages, the limit switch on the cutter sends a pulse, the cutter retracts, when the cutter hits the start of travel switch, a pulse i generated, the rubber is pushed off the belt, causeing a pulse from the photocell, which resets the counter

sorry for my bad description - im not a technical person.

i would use a pic, but then again pics are soo cheap i used them for everything - im a digital person stuck in an analogue world

Am very conviced with your explanation they look alive for real!!Ok what if i suggest you put into circuit digram???

Nestory,
Perhaps you can provide some more specifications. Does the rubber move continuously? How fast is the rubber moving? What is the cross-sectional area? Is it cut with a blade or hot wire or ??? Can the rubber simply fall after the cut or what needs to happen? Do you have any restrictions placed on your solution--for example, do you have to use photocells or can you use some other method?

Last edited:
Hi again,

Ok i'll draw up a circuit. Be back as soon as possible today.

Here's a typical control scheme...

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
iam a finalist in Electrical Engineering

As a finalist, I am assuming you already entered into some sort of competition and beat other competitors. How did you do that if you need people to draw your diagrams for you?

I still think a shaft encoder with a roller would be simpler and more reliable. I have seen similar things done in automated wire feeders.

Have I overlooked an important fact for this machine?

What is the shape and mechanical strength of the rubber to be cut?
Are there any changes in shape?

To me this is a 78% mechanical problem. 15% of the project will be engineering routine (adding up to a total of 93% mechanical work). 2% will be electronic design (to decide when the guillotine has to be activated) and 5% will be luck to work properly right away. :D

Any machine can be constructed the way it cuts material to any desired length with the precision of 1/100mm.

Also from my understand there is no need for an eject mechanism. As long as there is material feed the eject occurs automatically, and just the last piece has to removed manually.

Boncuk

Last edited:
my idea required an eject, as that is what signaled the conveyer to restart, but i think you have a point about it being mostly mechanical.

A conveyer, with a gear on it, connected to a drum with cutting blades mounted above the belt (blades spaced to suit the length required) as the conveyor moves, so does the drum, creating a continuous cutting action, like how they make sweets.

only electrical part is the motor

my idea required an eject, as that is what signaled the conveyer to restart, but i think you have a point about it being mostly mechanical.

A conveyer, with a gear on it, connected to a drum with cutting blades mounted above the belt (blades spaced to suit the length required) as the conveyor moves, so does the drum, creating a continuous cutting action, like how they make sweets.

only electrical part is the motor

Sorry, I don't know the term 'conveyor'. Please explain.

I still don't know what shape the rubber has and how rigid it is. Does it always have the same shape before cutting? May be I come up with a different construction. The mechanical construction goes before the electric/electronic one.

Also creating continuous cutting action will result in slanted cuts if the material feeds continously while cutting. Is this tolerable?

I imagine it is similar to a cutter making 'spaghetti' of foam rubber. This kind of machine has a guilottine cutting the spaghetti to any desired length. The spaghetti are not cut rectangular, but slanted - because cutting is performed while material is being fed. For their use it is of no importance. They are used to fill pillows.

Boncuk

MrAl MrAl MrAl MrAl MrAlMrAl
thank you brother i have gone through the microchip trying to know much about it.Only waiting for the circuit as you said.Have a good evening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back