Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Circuits with semiconductor devices

Status
Not open for further replies.

PG1995

Hi

Could you please help me with this query about Shockley diode? Thank you.

Regards
PG

PS: For etymology of the words "thyristor" and "thyratron", please have a look on **broken link removed**.

Attachments

• power_shockly.jpg
    power_shockly.jpg
    728.9 KB · Views: 629
Last edited:
hi PG,
The current flowing thru the resistor and diode [ when the cap has discharged] is less than the required HOLDING current of the diode, so it turns off.
Look at this pdf.
E

Attachments

• CD00003853.pdf
    138.1 KB · Views: 432
Thank you, Eric.

The following definition from the PDF is very helpful.

To keep an electromechanical relay turned on, it is necessary to have a minimum current circulating in its coil. If the current falls too low the relay would turn off. The same phenomenon can be observed in a TRIAC. This minimum current which keeps the TRIAC conducting is called the hypostatic or holding current, IH.

Regards
PG

Hi

Could you please help me with these queries about a UJT (unijunction transistor)? Thank you.

Regards
PG

I can't event read that .jpg

Never mind, it's my new viewer, I have to click on the Web version.

Edit: Thanks for the post, I never even new there was a UJT. Until now.

Last edited:
hi PG,
This pdf explains the valley voltage characteristic of a UJT
Dont forget the UJT is formed using a 'semiconductor' material, so it will have an intrinsic resistance from B1 to B2, usually around 10K
E

Attachments

• unijunction-transistor.pdf
    60.6 KB · Views: 5,581
Thanks, Eric.

Dont forget the UJT is formed using a 'semiconductor' material, so it will have an intrinsic resistance from B1 to B2, usually around 10K

I understand this but it's an n-type material which means it has some free electrons which means a bad conductor, and a bad conductor isn't really such a good insulator that it can offer resistance of 10 kΩ. I know I'm missing something here. So, I still need a little more help with Q1 here, and if possible, please do let me know if my interpretation in Q2 is okay.

Regards
PG

Attachments

• power_mos_bjt.jpg
    power_mos_bjt.jpg
    798.3 KB · Views: 464
Last edited:
Q1
Wire 5 and wire 6 have a physical presence so there will be capacitance between them.
If the electrical connections to the right hand side of wires 5 and 6 have exactly the same characteristics, then the voltage across C_n will be zero, and that capacitance will have no effect on operation.
If wires 5 and 6 have different electrical loads at their right hand sides, then as the voltage from wire 2 varies, then the voltages on wires 5 and 6 will be different, and so C_n becomes significant.

Q2
The double capacitor with the centre tap connected to ground is just an easy way of drawing two separate capacitors,
(one capacitor from wire 5 to ground, the other from wire 6 to ground), in a limited space on the screen/paper.

JimB

Hi,

Just a quick note here...

I see a lot of questions about the unijunction transistor. These transistors are rarely used these days. I have only encountered one real circuit that had one in it in the last 40 years. There may still be schematics around though and there's a chance someone somewhere might use one, but i think it will be very rare.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back