Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

circuit - where to put what

Status
Not open for further replies.

wavenator

ok this is a guitar effect project (ts 808 - overdrive).
i connect the guitar with jack cable to the "in", the sound changes and the changed sound go throw the "out" jack to the speaker.

i have 2 mono jack sockets with 3 legs
and a 9 volt battery

i want to know where to put the components on the circuit
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

thank you

Just connect the outside ring connection of the jacks, and the 9V- connection to ground. Connect the other connection of the input jack to the pad marked 'in' and the other connection of the output jack to the pad marked 'out.' Connect the 9V+ of the battery to the pad marked '+9V.'

i cant understand the common sense of it
why to connect them to gnd?
i want to close a circle
i've heard that as long as the battery connected
the energy reduces constantly
is that connected to what you've said?
as long as the battery connected to the gnd its energy getting wasted all time?
thx for your fast response

Yes, and part of that circle is called ground. It is just a convention, that we call the more negative potential, ground.
Yes, as long as the battery is connected, it will power the circuit, and energy will be used up. You should put an on - off switch in the wire between the + terminal of the battery and the +9V pad, so you can turn it off when you aren't using it. If the 'circle' is open, then the battery will not get used up. The energy used when the circle is complete, is not all wasted; your circuit requites energy to operate. (A little will usually be wasted in any circuit.)

"Ground" in this case doesn't necessarily refer to Earth ground, it means a common conductive path which is at (or assumed to be at) zero volts--that is, the green trace in your layout. And yes, some amount of current will be drawn (called standby current) when the device is in an idle (quiescent) state; that is, when no input signal is present. This standby current is usually small, if the circuit is properly designed, but disconnecting the battery when you're not using it for an extended period of time is a good idea.

You are not finished yet.
Most guitar circuits use a "stereo" jack and the guitar has a "mono" plug. Then the "ring" terminal on the jack is connected to the battery's negative wire so that when the guitar is plugged in then the battery is connected to 0V in the circuit. The long common on the mono plug bridges the "ring" of the stereo jack to 0V.

audioguru said:
You are not finished yet.
Most guitar circuits use a "stereo" jack and the guitar has a "mono" plug. Then the "ring" terminal on the jack is connected to the battery's negative wire so that when the guitar is plugged in then the battery is connected to 0V in the circuit. The long common on the mono plug bridges the "ring" of the stereo jack to 0V.

Makes TOTAL sense!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back