Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Circuit simulator software

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would try few freeware circuit simulator software.
What would be proper software for hobbyists?

By that I consider freeware, simple circuits with commonly used parts only.

Currently testing LTspice IV and seems it is easy to work with. However, there is many usual parts missing, as LM741, LM324, 74HCxx series... I suppose that is limitation of freeware version. I hope somewhere exists reliable third-party source developed such missing basic components.

Thanks.

You can use a huge number of models and subcircuits from third parties.

I would try few freeware circuit simulator software.
What would be proper software for hobbyists?

By that I consider freeware, simple circuits with commonly used parts only.

Currently testing LTspice IV and seems it is easy to work with. However, there is many usual parts missing, as LM741, LM324, 74HCxx series... I suppose that is limitation of freeware version. I hope somewhere exists reliable third-party source developed such missing basic components.

Thanks.
I'd stick with LTSpice, and just add in the component models you need. Google for LTspice models, look on their forum, ask on here, you'll find people have done a hell of a lot of them for you.

I did search and found many sources. Just asked here for reliable source I'm not aware off and save time for testing it and compare with real hardware.

Internet is not very good place to search such specific parts, as many sources are not quite reliable Especially as a hobbyist...

Thanks.

I did search and found many sources. Just asked here for reliable source I'm not aware off and save time for testing it and compare with real hardware.

Internet is not very good place to search such specific parts, as many sources are not quite reliable Especially as a hobbyist...

Thanks.

Unfortunately there is no single reliable source. It's mostly trial-and-error when downloading third-party libraries. I downloaded the CD4000 series recently for LTSpice and there was an error in the code (that or I was missing one of the parts). You just have to keep trying until you get what you want.

Here's an example for installing a model for the LM741 you mentioned:

https://jeastham.blogspot.com/2009/10/adding-lm741-op-amp-model-to-ltspice.html

Sign up for the free Yahoo/LTSpice User group, all the models you have listed are there also many more.

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/LTspice/info

Look in Files/Lib
E

Try NI multisim Blue eval. It uses spice for simulation. The eval version is a little limited in digital parts like 74HC family, so if you have many digital may not be for you. Premium edition not a problem but cost a bit more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back