Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Circuit sim software

Status
Not open for further replies.

ke5frf

Hey gents.

I have very little experience with modeling software for purposes of designing circuits, though I've seen some free programs geared toward getting YOU to send your PCB layout to their company to etch. I'm not too keen on sending a prototype off and paying big fees only to have a design defect.

Mostly, I want to breadboard future projects involving some robotics and some amateur radio homebrewing. I'd like a sim program that is fairly accurate, has a good selection of standard ICs, transistors, regulators, etc. as well as some popular microprocessors. I'd like it to have a good, updateable library. Would be nice if it even predicted temperature variances of components and corrected obvious errors to prevent damage.

I don't know where to start, really. The only software I've ever played with was from Global Specialties, a floppy disk from the 90s. Practically DOS based LOL. Crap software only good for educational purposes.

Any suggestions for free, inexpensive, or pricey but well worth it?

Sorry if this question is probably very redundant. If you care to reply, maybe you can offer the pros and cons of your pet program.

Last edited:
Follow some of my posts (and Eric Gibbs and others) where we post a schematic of a design including simulation results. I use LTSpice, which has a hefty learning curve, but since I have posted about a hundred circuit designs here, you can use them as examples of how to use LTSpice.

Thanks, yes I've seen you mention it. And it is free, provided by Linear Technology in hopes you use their ICs I imagine. Good marketing strategy!

yes, it comes with a fairly complete library of their op amps and SMPS ICs:D

however (and there's a bit of a learning curve with this), you can add third-party models for all kinds of devices. i recommend you join the LTSpice yahoo group. there's a lot of circuit models and experienced people on there...

Also comes with a good "getting started" that you can download/print. And the help files are actually helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back