Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Circuit question

Status
Not open for further replies.

patso

Hello all, first time poster.

So basically, I have a simple two-transistor oscillator circuit that I got out of a electronics workbook (tron.ix book 1).

I don't have the schematics on me at the moment, but it's basically two transistors for oscillating, a couple of resistors for setting the frequency and a final transistor to keep the small .5W 8Ω speaker from burning out.

Basically I was hoping to replace the small speaker with a 1/4" jack so that I may be able to plug this into a guitar amplifier. When I plugged the jack into a recording interface, the only sound I hear is a pop when i turn it on. If i swap the speaker back in, I hear the tone fine. Is there something about the signal usually used on instruments that I don't understand?

Thanks for any advice.

The speaker may provide a necessary path for the signal so the circuit can oscillate. The amp input is a relatively high impedance and doesn't provide that path. You might try subsituting a resistor (5-10 ohms) for the speaker and taking the signal across the resistor.

The speaker may provide a necessary path for the signal so the circuit can oscillate. The amp input is a relatively high impedance and doesn't provide that path. You might try subsituting a resistor (5-10 ohms) for the speaker and taking the signal across the resistor.

Wow thanks! That insight helped me out a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back