Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Circuit Question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

olivergw

Hi Guys,

I have been looking at this diagram a friend showed me - of 2 lightbulbs, 2 switches and wire in between, he has put a truth table and he asked how does this circuit work - he said he there is nothing hidden.

he may be pulling my leg i dunno - i have copied it out onto paper then scanned, as it was originally written on a scrap bit of paper in a pub so... hehe

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

thanks Ollie

Last edited:
Is it? i have drawn it identically to how he did - he has done the boolean for it too.

As . Bs = Al

As . Bs = Bl

by 1 i mean the switch is closed and 0 open

Gcity gave you the right answer. If either switch is open the lights will never light up. Also if both switches are close both lights will light.

Last edited:
If switch A affects only light A and switch B affects only light B, then...

there are hidden parts.

What did the demo hardware look like?

It would work with hidden diodes and AC power but the brightness would be at one to four levels.
I have not thought about this very long so I'm just guessing.

Last edited:
It would work with hidden diodes and AC power but the brightness would be at one to four levels.
I have not thought about this very long so I'm just guessing.
With a hidden diode across each switch and each lamp, the truth table is correct, and there will only be two brightness levels: Off and half power.

Last edited:
I see. With both switches closed the bulbs are still in series so half power.
When one switch is on and one is off, the corresponding bulb only conducts during a half cycle. When both switches are on, each bulb conducts on alternate half cycles. The half cycle accounts for the half power. Actually, when only one switch is on, the diode across the other bulb conducts on one half cycle, so the bulb has a miniscule amount of current flowing through it.

Attachments

• trick light bulb circuit.PNG
    trick light bulb circuit.PNG
    12.1 KB · Views: 773
  • trick light bulb circuit.asc
    1.4 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back