Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Circuit help! For input: 5v to output:12v DC. Using USB port (laptop)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ikzton24

Hello Everybody!! :D

I want to change my usb fan which is 5v to a 12v source.

I want to create a circuit that would have an output of 12V DC. Its input is 5v DC in the usb port of my laptop.

Can anyone help me with this??

Why would you want to use a 5V fan with 12V?

It'll burn up within a short time.

Boncuk

I would change the 5v fan with a 12v fan. All I want is to step up the 5v dc of the usb port to 12v dc. :D hope you get it. :)

The USB port will support a maximum of 500ma (around 2.5 watts). A 12 volt fan at 0.12 amps is 1.44 watts.

You will need to build or buy a switching regulator which is around 58% or more efficient. The item ronv linked to above should do the job nicely.

It should work ok but you're better off getting the switcher off Ebay as pointed out above as you won't be able to build it from parts for less than they are selling it for.

If you want to be extra sure, put a fast blow 500ma fuse in series with the USB port and the switcher.

How a fast blow fuse work by the way? I would series it between the INPUT and PIN 4 which is the switch, right?
You can connect it inline with either of the supply pins to the boost converter (preferably the +5v line though)

If there is a surge of more than approx 500ma then the fust will blow and in theory protect your USB port from overload

You can connect it inline with either of the supply pins to the boost converter (preferably the +5v line though)

If there is a surge of more than approx 500ma then the fust will blow and in theory protect your USB port from overload

Thanks man. I got it. I will try that circuit. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back