Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Circuit etching

Status
Not open for further replies.

aalauzier

Hello everyone, I am working on a project and want to make my own PCB for it. I am trying to find etching kits, like the one Collin Cunningham uses in his video about etching. He uses a kit from Jameco electronics, but it will be around $50 for the whole kit after shipping. Is there anything that has the same products in it for less? I have been searching the web for a while, but I dont know of any reliable dealers that would have these chemicals and etching boards. Help is always appreciated, Thank you

Seriously if you are only going to make a few PCBs a year use a service like batchPCB or DorkbotPDX. With photo resist chemicals age and the exposure time changes etc.

There is no easy cheap (a relative term) way to make really nice DIY PCB's. I expect I have some hundreds of dollars invested by now.

Also making the boards is not cut and dried. It is a series of processes and you have to get them all right. Then there is the time to drill all the holes.

Alright, thank you. I am not looking for professional quality materials, just a reliable dealer that doesnt add to the cost because it is a large distributor.

depending on how intricate your circuits are, Radio Shack has a few decent small boards for IC's for a couple bucks a piece. I just picked up two of these today actually, I've got several of these laying around, and I might be ordering a few of these soon to have around (they don't carry those in the store; they're on-line order only, at least around here anyway)

Last edited:
hey why do u go for kits???
if u have small quantity of pcb's to be done then u learn "ferrous chloride PCB etching"
just check out youtube

Last edited:
you can use ammonium persulphate (obtain from most chemical supply company) instead of the ferrous chloride.
Ferrous chloride gives much yellow stains, persulphate oxidiser much easier/cleaner (just use hot water bath to help reaction, no real need for heating persulphate solution). lots of info (google DIY PCB)
making DIY PCB adds to the fun :)

There are dozens of threads on etching PCBs on this and gobs on others.

But the OP is looking for a photo resist etching kit and feels $50 is too much. Looking for a kit and cheap to me says cheap and easy. No such thing in the DIY PCB world.

You could do toner transfer with magazine paper and only spend a few bucks for a bottle of etchant at the local radio schack but it is not easy.

Last edited:
Thank you everyone, I have been using Radioshack protoboards, but I am building a circuit that gives a very simple pcb layout in the datasheet, and thought that it could be a good experience to try etching.

Thank you very much jbeng, that is what I was looking for, although I have a question. If I use the presensitized positive photoresist pcb, than I would need a positive developer and ferric chloride? Thank you for the help.

You're correct on the developer, but any of the common etchants will do - it's not a requirement that you use ferric chloride. You'll also need to use positive artwork. What type of light source are you planning on using for exposure?

Last edited:
SIMPLE METHOD to do photo resist (I perfer toner transfer method)
Design your board, purchase pre sensitive boards then using clear film sold at most any office supply (projection film?) then print out your design using inkjet printer.
WEAR GLOVES AND EYE PROTECTION
Pour 1 part muratic acid into a plastic container.
ADD (always add TO an acid) 2 parts hydrogen peroxide.
Slightly agitate until board is etched ( I gently rock my container back and forth) Using this mix you can see the etching progress.
Do a search for more detailed instructions.
If you plan on do many boards then look into the PULSAR kit for toner transfer but you need a laser printer or use a copy machine.

easy board design software = expresspcb (its free download)
I use a #65 and #68 drill bits

(always add TO an acid)

MrDeb, are you sure you meant this? I've always been told "ADD ACID TO OTHER CHEMICALS". The reason was that when adding some thing to acid it makes in the first moments a very concentrated mix/reaction. When adding acid to something else the acid is being diluted.

cary

I was mis informed. Found an instructiable on the web that using this formula you can reuse the chemical over and over. Just add a little hydrogen peroxide to the mix to reactivate.
do a search mixing hydrogen peroxide with muratic acid

I am going to use the method explained by Collin Cunningham here (YouTube - Circuit Skills: Circuit Board Etching) because video tutorials are very helpful for me, and I have made things that he explained in videos before. He just did this in partnership with Jameco electronics, and their kit is over twice the price of jbeng's source. I am glad that everyone is finding answers, not only me.

After watching that video (pretty good) BUT the cost IMO is more than using the toner transfer method.
No special boards
No developer
No special setup for exposing the board
He used that nasty brown enchant. You will find that the muratic acid/hydrogen peroxide mix will work just as good BUT you can see the progress and its reusable. just add more hydrogen peroxide after you let the mix evaporate the water
See the "instructable" about enchant mix
I did a search "muratic acid hydrogen peroxide mixing"
look at the Pulsar toner transfer method. Very easy, no special sensitized boards to screw up, No special chemicals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back