Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Circuit Diagram Symbol Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

DBR01

So in the past 3 days I've learned a lot about circuit components and just lots in general but one symbol that keeps popping up in schematics I can't seem to find. It always seems to be associated with a ground so i'm sure its a common component. Thanks in advance for the help.
NA.jpg

In the US those "symbols" would be for non-polarized capacitors. A polarized symbol would have a small + sign above the upper bar. The high capacitance numbers would likely indicate electrolytics though. The 1uF could be non-polarized, but the 220uF would have to be a polarized electrolytic. For some non-polarized capacitors that are made up of wound layers of foils and insulation, the curved line indicates the outer foil.

But then, that's just my 50 some years of experience. ;)

Ken

In the US those "symbols" would be for non-polarized capacitors. A polarized symbol would have a small + sign above the upper bar. The high capacitance numbers would likely indicate electrolytics though. The 1uF could be non-polarized, but the 220uF would have to be a polarized electrolytic. For some non-polarized capacitors that are made up of wound layers of foils and insulation, the curved line indicates the outer foil.

But then, that's just my 50 some years of experience. ;)

Ken

I agree with Ken and I've been working with electronics for almost 2 days now. :D Just kidding, but I know that Eagle uses the capacitor symbol with the curved bottom for polarized and non-polarized alike.

Also have a look at the New to Electronics FAQ that some nice forum member wrote :)

I'm a little curious why that particular symbol is used even on non-polarized caps, though I would third the thought that it would require a + on the schematic to signify if it was polarized or not. The parts list should contain the specific type of capacitor used. I would however disagree with Kmoffet saying that the 220u cap could not be a non-polarized cap as they do sell them. It'd just cost between 30-150 dollars or so per capacitor. Digikey sells metalized polypropylene caps up to 730u they cost a bit more than 150 dollars US currency though.

After you get used to the circuits and the application of various types of capacitors the type of capacitor used will be obvious without explicitly stating what it is.

Last edited:
More like 64. I actually started putzing with things electrical and electronic when I was about 12. :)

Ken

That capacitor symbol is also found on British schematics, sometimes with a "+" sign on the flat end, or an arrow attached to the curved end to indicate a variable capacitance. You may also find a symbol similar to an equal sign, with one bar white ( positive) and the other bar black ( negative).

Last edited:
Many foreign people who come to this forum call them "capacitaters".
Old geezers call them "condensers".

I think early electronic theory was ether based, they actually thought it was a substance like a gas, condensers collected this substances and allowed you to release it later.

Last edited:
I guess that's just what they used to be called? I'm thinking the idea is that they 'condensed' electricity into one spot.. I've seen 'condensers' on old air pumps..

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back