Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Circuit designing help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

What previous experience do you have. Did you study any Math yet or anything else related to electronics?

Yeah I have studied maths (calculus too). I know general electronics. I have been studying electronics since last three years. I have worked on arduino and AVR (not much). And now I want to learn Circuit simulation, drawing, PCB design and layout. Please help me regarding this. I am really confused how to start? I don't know about softwares used, how to use them, how they work, etc etc. Please tell me how to start?

Hi,

One way to start is to use LT Spice, also known as SwitchreCad3 from Linear Tech. It's completely free.

A word of caution here though, once you start using a circuit simulator you may not want to bother doing the math for a circuit anymore. But it's good to know how to analyze a circuit too learning the principles that govern circuits that contain resistors, capacitors, inductors, etc.

Have you done any analysis at all in the past, on say resistor networks like for example a voltage divider?

MrAl, thanks! Can you please tell me in details about Circuit simulation, schematic, circuit designing, PCB designing and layout softwares?
And yes I have done analysis(not much, just some basics).

MrAl, thanks! Can you please tell me in details about Circuit simulation, schematic, circuit designing, PCB designing and layout softwares?
And yes I have done analysis(not much, just some basics).

hi,
Download this free version
**broken link removed**

E.

Thanks. Please answer the questions.

hi,
Thats not the way it works.:D

You are supposed to read the teaching notes then attempt the questions yourself.

If after reading the notes you have a specific problem, please ask for guidance.

E.

hi,
Thats not the way it works.:D

You are supposed to read the teaching notes then attempt the questions yourself.

If after reading the notes you have a specific problem, please ask for guidance.

E.

Err. I didn't ask about your link. Can you please tell me in details about Circuit simulation, schematic, circuit designing, PCB designing and layout softwares?

Err. I didn't ask about your link. Can you please tell me in details about Circuit simulation, schematic, circuit designing, PCB designing and layout softwares?

hi,
OK.. To explain in detail all the topics you are asking about would take a long time.

Can you say which topic/subject is of highest interest to you and we can start from there.

As MrAl has suggested LTSpice simulation would reduce your learning time.

LTSpice is a free simulator program, with it you can 'build' circuits, run them and quickly modify them in order to try variations.

**broken link removed**

E.

Last edited:
I cannot tell which one is of highest interest as I am totally new to these things. Can you please explain them in single post comparing with other things. I know I am asking too many questions, but please it would be helpful if you answer in single post. I am totally confused about all those softwares. When to use simulation software, when schematic design, PCB layout blah blah.

Last edited:
I cannot tell which one is of highest interest as I am totally new to these things. Can you please explain them in single post comparing with other things. I know I am asking too many questions, but please it would be helpful if you answer in single post. I am totally confused about all those softwares. When to use simulation software, when schematic design, PCB layout blah blah.

hi,

First learn Circuit design.

Second LTSpice simulation

Third PCB layout.

The above steps would be the sequence you would actually follow in creating a final working model.

E.

And which software do you use for circuit designing? or you just draw it on paper?
Yes, drawing on paper works for me. Then either simulate sections of it, or build a prototype to tweak as required. For making the PCB, the schematic is drawn in a schematic capture program, then the PCB can be drawn based on the details in the schematic. A few programs for schematic capture and PCB design include Altium Designer (expensive), Eagle (free & paid versions), KiCAD (free), gEDA (free I think), etc. I've used Altium and Eagle; both work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back