Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Circuit Breaker Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeg223

Has anyone heard of or experienced a "dead zone" in a circuit breaker? For example, a 20A breaker failing to open at 60A. I know circuit breakers can fail like any other device, but this is supposed to happen with an otherwise functional device. Almost like a resonance where the breaker doesn't see the over current condition because of the changing AC power.

How long was the 60A applied to the breaker? Have you studied the time-delay characteristics of circuit breakers?

Last edited:
The 60A would be applied indefinitely if the breaker doesn't open. I know the time delay curves of the breakers are shown on the data sheet. 60A through a 20A breaker should trip in less than 1 second, but the supposition is that breaker wouldn't trip at all.

Has this happened to you, or is it just something you've heard about?

Sounds rather strange to me.

Circuit breakers use Time vs Current to operate, if a high amp spike hits the breaker it can enter a "deadzone" where the appliance will cook before the breaker trips out. However this can only happen for a short time, the breaker would eventually trip out. I would not think that you could hold 60A on a 20A breaker indefinatly.

This is just something I've heard about. I didn't think the 60A would pass for a significant amount of time.

Good preventive maintenance for circuit breakers should include periodic exercise of the operating mechanism. A better practice is to exercise the trip latch mechanism since it can seize due to lack of use.
I always exercise my breakers at least one a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back