Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Circuit Board Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

eetylerb

Can anyone tell me what type of component is in this picture?

My dishwasher stopped working and this looks like the only fried piece on the board, so I want to replace, but I need to know what to look/ask for.

It has a 50+ labeled toward the bottom of the circle.

Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• P1010714.JPG
    P1010714.JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 187
I think it's more likely to be a transient supressor; the ZNR on the silk screen indicates this.

This is the symbol for a thyristor surge suppressor device, the sybol on the original looks like this, except no line through the Z.

What about the 50+, is that the break over voltage?

Attachments

• Thyristor Surge Protection Devices.gif
    Thyristor Surge Protection Devices.gif
    1.2 KB · Views: 469
There may have been a spike, I was doing some electical work and the main neutral accidentally got lifted causing everything in the house to loose reference to ground. After this is when I noticed it wasn't working, but can't say for sure that was when it happened.

you may have sent 240 volts through your dishwasher. if your dishwasher and disposal are on separate circuits, they are probably sharing a neutral (that's how most kitchens are wired). if the neutral gets interrupted trying to get back to ground (like coming loose at the panel) then you actually have one 120 volt phase going through the dishwasher and one 120 volt phase going through your disposal and the neutral, rather than running back to ground, just runs those two phases together. so as soon as you turn on the switch for the disposal, you complete that circuit and send 240 volts through both appliances.

not that this helps you get your dishwasher going, just nice to know why something broke

If the suppressor fried, than it may have open circuited and damaged some of the other circuits. If it shorted, then it could be pulling down the power. You can try removing the suppressor to see if the rest of the circuit still works. You don't need the suppressor for this test. If the circuit works then you can replace the suppressor. If not you have to look elsewhere for further failures.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back