Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Circuit auto OFF feature after no events design

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uman

A hand held circuit detects the presents of an object using an IR emiter and transistor detector. The circuit is powered by a 9v battery and sounds a buzzer when the IR light beam is interrupted.
I would like to add a feature to auto OFF the circuit when no objects interupt the IR beam within 60 minutes, to conserve batteries. The power switch will be cycled to activate the circuit again.

I suspect a 555 timer circuit embedded in the above circuit is the solution. Is the 555 timer the way to go or is there a better way?

Is it possible for the circuit to automatically reset the 60 minute timer after each interrupted event and power down after 60 minutes of inactivity?

Thanks,
Jeff in Florida

Uman said:
A hand held circuit detects the presents of an object using an IR emiter and transistor detector. The circuit is powered by a 9v battery and sounds a buzzer when the IR light beam is interrupted.
I would like to add a feature to auto OFF the circuit when no objects interupt the IR beam within 60 minutes, to conserve batteries. The power switch will be cycled to activate the circuit again.

I suspect a 555 timer circuit embedded in the above circuit is the solution. Is the 555 timer the way to go or is there a better way?

Is it possible for the circuit to automatically reset the 60 minute timer after each interrupted event and power down after 60 minutes of inactivity?

Thanks,
Jeff in Florida

I would suggest a PIC would be the way to go, a small 8 pin one would be all you would need, and would give fairly accurate timings - 555's aren't really very good for any long time delays.

If You not familiar with PIC, possible solution a counter with 4060. The opto receiver can make a reset by event, without reset the counter run about 60sec, and give PWR off (like a watchdog).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back