Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

chopper driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

evandude

I am working on designing a stepper motor controller. Not something I've done before.

this is the general design i'm starting from:
**broken link removed**

my thought was to replace the transistor with a MOSFET, replace the comparator with an op-amp which directly drives the gate of the transistor, and an open-collector inverter also driving the gate so that a high signal will pull the gate low, turning off the MOSFET and switching off the coil.

the idea is that the voltage on the feedback resistor will control the mosfet via the op-amp so that the coil gets a fixed current. any thoughts on things i missed about this design?

I imagine there has to be some reason most other designs are using comparators/AND gates which gives a sawtooth waveform for the current, vs. a more smooth waveform i would imagine with an op-amp... but i can't see it at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back