Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Choosing the right ADC Tad

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris414

I'm trying to make my ADC as accurate as possible - in the datasheet for the PIC18F2550 it seems to indicate that the Tad value must be as small as possible, and then later there's a table (page 273 https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2010/01/39632e.pdf) that gives the maximum Fosc for each given Tad. I was using a 2 Tad speed with a 8Mhz oscillator speed and yet everything still works... does it really matter what Tad setting I use? Which should I be using?

Also with ADC accuracy, is it more accurate to use the Vref+ and Vref- pins even if all I do is connect the Vdd and Vss rails to them?

Hi,

You can use this handy little utility to calculate your adc values for you.
**broken link removed**

As for ADC accuracy, well thats a subject and a half that I will leave to other more knowledgeable members, however look at Nigels ADC tutorial where he uses a voltage reference diode which is very simple but much better than the pics voltages.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back