Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

choosing the appropriate transformer

Status
Not open for further replies.

bazramit

Hi Guys,
I tried to multiply the voltage of the attached waveform by 5 but I couldn't find the appropriate type of transformer. All the transformers I have used distorted the waveform.
Can any body lead me to choose the best transformer ?

A Transformer Won't do it.

Build yourself a Suitable Amplifier Circuit.
For an Increase of 5 Times, Probably with a Transistor output and using a 30 or 40 volt supply.

what is making that signal in the first place? how much time lapses between the start of the waveform and the end? what frequency is the waveform? what do you intend to drive with the output? what you use to amplify it will depend a lot on the answers to those questions.

what is making that signal in the first place? how much time lapses between the start of the waveform and the end? what frequency is the waveform? what do you intend to drive with the output? what you use to amplify it will depend a lot on the answers to those questions.

This signal is generated from an electromagnetic coil. Its total time is about 13 msec. the signal has a main frequency of about 60Hz. This will drive a bridge and then charge a cap.

this is a self powered circuit with no external power supply.

I doubt there is any Chance in Increasing its signal without distortion, without using an Amplifier.
Just a Transformer won't do it.

if this is for energy harvesting, you may be able to do voltage multiplication with diode-capacitor ladders. using schottky diodes would maximize efficiency

Hi Guys,
I tried to multiply the voltage of the attached waveform by 5 but I couldn't find the appropriate type of transformer. All the transformers I have used distorted the waveform.
Can any body lead me to choose the best transformer ?

Bazramit, it is better to continue the existing thread you have on the subject. If you feel you need to start a new thread, then at least post a link to the previous thread, so new contributors can see what's already been covered.

https://www.electro-tech-online.com/threads/storing-energy-to-a-capacitor.130077/

If all you are doing is harvesting energy why are you concerned about distortion of the waveform? The wave shape is irrelevant; it's the area under the curve which is of interest for your purpose.

A transformer should increase the voltage without significant distortion.
What does the transformer output look like?
What is the transformer load?

A transformer should increase the voltage without significant distortion.
What does the transformer output look like?
What is the transformer load?

It looks like one long narrow spike. I can't see the original waveform's hills and valleys.
The transformer load is a schotky bridge and a capacitor.

If all you are doing is harvesting energy why are you concerned about distortion of the waveform? The wave shape is irrelevant; it's the area under the curve which is of interest for your purpose.

yes I agree if the area of the curve remains close to the original waveform but it is not like this.

By the way how could I choose the primary and secondary inductance in mH and the number of wires in each coil?
You should be able to use a standard 60Hz line transformer. What type of transformer did you use?:confused:

if this is for energy harvesting, you don't want a transformer either. you will lose anywhere from 5-10% of the energy. you may get more voltage, but at the cost of less current. if the source produces 1 milliwatt, the transformer will reduce it to 900 microwatts because of losses in the windings.

You should be able to use a standard 60Hz line transformer. What type of transformer did you use?:confused:

yes this transformer may be good but I have only about 15mjoules electrical energy.

The transformer I have used has a primary inductance of 30mH and a secondary of 200mH. It is a standard transformer.

yes this transformer may be good but I have only about 15mjoules electrical energy.

The transformer I have used has a primary inductance of 30mH and a secondary of 200mH. It is a standard transformer.
A normal 60Hz power transformer has a primary inductance in the range of Henrys not milli-Henrys.

A small Transistor Type, Audio transformer would be more Appropriate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back