Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Choosing an Oscilloscope

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can I suggest some reading material, produced by Tektronix the Rolls Royce of scopes. (Maybe).

XYZs of Scopes and ABCs of Probes

If you put these titles into google, it will find these PDFs no problem.
They contain lots of very good information.

JimB

Thanks for information
I've downloaded and I will read it through, maybe not too many times and some of it will go in :confused:
Thanks again
S

Hi Guys

Firstly, a reminder, I'm a complete novice !

Now....... I want to learn how and when to use an oscilloscope but in order to do that I need to acquire one. On the back of that thought, I'm getting some flack from my senior manager about the money I've spent so far in pursuit of my new hobby, so I'm going to struggle to justify the spending for even a basic new bench model. The problem with buying secondhand is that I don't know enough about what I need/don't need; condition/wear & tear etc to make a good judgement about a good deal.
Given that what I really need to do at the moment is to learn how to and when to, I'm tempted by the price ( under £100 ) of a new PC based unit which seem to have some reasonable reviews. I understand that they have limitations, but at this stage they not too important to me as they are issues that I will need to discover when I have mastered the basics which will probably take some time.

I'd be grateful for any advice anyone may have to offer.
Thanks
S

I am in western USA, actually home of one 'scope vendor.
I got a decent, new, 100 MHz, 2 channel scope for about $1200.
Important part for me is that it prints to a JPEG format that I can use anywhere.
Scope is a Tektronix TDS2012C.
Previously I had a used HP54600A I bought from a colleague.
It was so old that when one section (the vertical amp) went out the repair estimate was $800+ with no guarantee that nothing else would fail.
YMMV

Hi Brian

Welcome to the ETO forum. I'm new here too - just over a month now, but has been worth every moment of it - great bunch of people with a common interest in electronics and willing to share their experience with advice.
I'd love to buy a new 'scope but my senior manager - to whom I've been married for many years - would have a fit if I spent that amount of money on a new hobby. Also, at this stage it's more about learning how and when to use a 'scope rather than any specific or meaningful application of the finer points. At the moment, I'm more worried about doing the wrong thing and blowing it up than anything else.
I have today bought a 2nd hand Gould Advance 4000 from a retiring electronics engineer who says 'all working fine, only light use' but I know it's a pot luck equation. If it only lasts long enough for me to learn the art then at the price I paid I'll have done well.
Anyway, thank you for the information, I hope you enjoy this place as much as I do

S

For JimB

I would like a moments private chat with you but my screen won't allow me to start a conversation, would you start one for me please ?

Thanks
S

For Brian Conley

to post a thread - click on the 'Forums' tab- top left hand screen - then choose a topic heading from the list which is most appropriate and click on it - then on right side of screen blue button ' post new thread ' and enter your message / question. Buttons for upload a file or picture are all nearby.
If you post question on a profile, very few will see it so you may not get any answer.
Hope this helps

S

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back