Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

choosing an oscilloscope and function generator

Status
Not open for further replies.

BioniC187

Hey all,
I want to get myself a scope.
I have seen the dso 150 pocket scope, and another by virtins.
And then there is a desk oscilloscope.
I don't know what to choose really.
I need one that can sample atleast 1Mhz. Any idea's for any other scopes, desk or pocket. Reason i thought about a pocket scope is to read signals on site, and check for noise.
So as far s possible, i would like a pocket scope, but if they aren't to awesome, then i'd go for a desk one.
Same goes for F generator. No idea where to start.
Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks in advance!!

The DSO type scopes are very handy, have loads of variables and you can't beat the price, especially compared to desk scopes with similar capabilites.

The DSO I use (DSO201, good to 1 MHz) has an onboard calibration sig gen (Square wave only, variable freq) that I've used extensively.

Oh that sound nice. And you are so right, way too handy especially to have on site. Where did you get yours? and price

I'm keen on the DSO201 you have suggested to me. Will be ordering it next week. So excited!!!!
If I do have any question I will be sure to ask you,
thanks mate

I'm looking to get my first oscilloscope. for small dc circuits. micro controller/sensor projects. Would this be ideal? Was looking at a owon SDS6062V (non hand held) but may want to start off with something cheaper. Pros, Cons?

Some of the PC based units will do a better job at a lower price, and are portable with a laptop/netbook.

If you are ever going to use it for RF, may be better to look at better specs in the first place, to save spending the same money again. Easier to look at all present and probable future uses first.

Even for micro controllers, pics, ATmega you can't see the clock with a 1meg scope.

The other main thing is do you need a storage scope or not, it looks nice on paper, but depending on application may be rarely used. If not it opens up the possibility of an old fashioned CRT scope, and a good one is available for reasonable outlay on fleabay, often less than the pocket scope.

I'm looking to get my first oscilloscope. for small dc circuits. micro controller/sensor projects. Would this be ideal? Was looking at a owon SDS6062V (non hand held) but may want to start off with something cheaper. Pros, Cons?

Nice scope, but 6 times the cost of the DSO201 nano.

Now, to be sure, the nano has nowhere near the freq range, nor is it dual channel, etc.

But for your stated uses and as a "first scope" introduction, minus the mcu clock speed issue, the nano (or similar) is a great intro scope and its uses will probably always find a spot in your test equipment array. And it is extremely portable (fits in your shirt pocket) and is easy to use.

And, frankly, mcu clock speed is not something I, for one, have ever concerned myself with: either its correct and the system works as intended, or it not as evidenced by the system NOT working correctly. A frequency meter can confirm base mcu clock timing (although, of course, not wave shape). And, equally, most RF signals will be beyond the "scope" (couldn't help myself :rolleyes:) of this scope.

But again, buying an inexpensive, pocket device like the nano as a first scope will give you experience in the basic uses of an oscilloscope and it will not leave you with a useless piece of test gear as your needs expand. You'll always find a use for it.

And:

Sangoma said:
Some of the PC based units will do a better job at a lower price, and are portable with a laptop/netbook.

PC/Notebook/Tablet based scopes (such as the DSO 2090) require an external interface "box" and between the two required devices (PC/Box), are just as cumbersome as a desktop scope.

Just my opinion (having used scopes of many makes and models since 1966).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back