Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Choosing a Microcontroller/Project help

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedCore

Hello everyone,
I have just started learning about robotics, and beleive its about time to tackle a project.

I've done quite a bit of reading and have a few questions.. I'm not sure which PIC/programmer I should use for my project..

Motors:

I was also thinking about using the Pololu Micro Dual Serial Motor Controller. I have read the datasheet and understand how i can control it using a serial input, this controller is quite nice as you can hook up other controllers like it to the same serial line and control each seperatly.(I could perhaps add some servo controllers later?) At first I considered using pulse width modulation in my programming to control the motors but this seems much better.

For the sensors, I'm sure a simple IR detection collision system would work fine in the beginning. My question is if I put something like a ultrasonic distance measurement component on the robot.. Well, I've read they they output using varying voltage.. I'm assuming I would need a analog to digital converter for my microcontroller to use this.. I dont know much about these..

As for the PIC, I thought about using the "Basic Stamp" by Parallax, but I think I would rather use just a PIC.. This way I will have to connect the clock input and everything myself.. I would like to program the chip in ASM. I have read alot and believe I could do it.. I just have a little more learning to do about different banks and TRISA/B type things. But i'm almost there..

Any thoughts on my project.. Where to start? What to do? Any comments would be appreciated..

Edit:

Sorry.. I forgot to ask about the baud rates and such.. The motor controller I was talking about expects the serial input to be in a certain baud range.. I dont know anything about how a PIC handles this... Thanks again for any help.

Last edited:
For a newbie I'd suggest looking at a ready built programmer - the Wisp628 is a decent cheap unit although you can buy/build a bit cheaper.

For ease of use go for a Picstart+ if you're going to be using PICs on a regular basis or consider an ICD2 (or clone) - my personal preference is my Picstart+ although I have the Promate II for the stuff the PS+ won't program.

Both the Picstart+ and Promate II (or PM3 if you're a millionaire lmao) directly integrate with MPLab so getting going is pretty simple.

Favourite PICs for the job ? Possibly look at using the 18F1220/1320 - I far prefer the 18F series to the 16F series and they are easier for the beginner to play with as well - there is no bank switching issues (or very few), have a fairly accurate internal oscillator, onboard serial/I2C and can be picked up in the uk for around £2 each - bit of a no-brainer really.

Most PICs have a wide range of baud frequencies and these are selectable in the software.
Dom

The EasyPIC4 is both a programmer, and a development board. It connects to your PC via USB to program pretty much any 16F or 18F PIC, and as you can see, it comes with a fist full of gear (lcd's costs a little more)

**broken link removed**

$149 from https://www.mikroe.com/en/tools/easypic4/ They ship to pretty much anywhere in the world.

Thanks for the help guys.. just a few more things..
I plan on getting the EasyPic4 but havent seen any information on programming a PIC with ASM on the EasyPic4. Does the language you use rely only on the software on the PC you use to interface with the programmer?

and can someone explain the PIC names like 18F? Is there a standard for naming PICs and what the numbers mean?

thanks.

EasyPIC 4 come with it's own software. What you will need to program your PIC is the .HEX file which will be generated by your compiler (assembler, c, Basic, Pascal, etc etc etc)

Some compiler IDE allow to launch the EasyPic4 application from there. Those IDE i know, MicroCode Studio (Melabs PicBasic), Proton PDS, Swordfish and of course any MikroElektronika one.

As far as i'm aware of, there's no part # convention.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back