Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Choosing a capacitor...

Status
Not open for further replies.

2camjohn

I am running a battery powered pic based circuit that drives a coil.

I already have decoupling capacitors near the pic and the voltage regulator.

I want to improve reliabiltiy when the battery is running low by adding a capacitor that stores some charge for the coil.

How do I work out what value to choose for the capacitor?

I know the voltage into the coil and the resistance of the coil, aswel as the 'on time' for the coil.

Thanks
John

2camjohn said:
I am running a battery powered pic based circuit that drives a coil.

I already have decoupling capacitors near the pic and the voltage regulator.

I want to improve reliabiltiy when the battery is running low by adding a capacitor that stores some charge for the coil.

How do I work out what value to choose for the capacitor?

I know the voltage into the coil and the resistance of the coil, aswel as the 'on time' for the coil.

It's probably as easy to just find it by experiment, you should also isolate it from the PIC circuit via a blocking diode - otherwise it could crash the PIC.

Use the formula: deltaV = I*deltaT/C
Where deltaV is the voltage sag of the capacitor
I is the current to the coil
deltaT is the time the coil is drawing current
C is the capacitor value.

This is approximate but will get in the ballpark.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back