Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Choke and Capacitor Size

Status
Not open for further replies.

ibwev

I am trying to design a circuit that is supplied by 24VAC that goes through a choke, capacitors and then a bridge rectifier to alter the 24VAC to Direct Current (see diagram). The load will pull 430 mA max at 5 volts. I am considering using the choke shown in the diagram; however, I am not sure it is a good choice since I do not know if the inductance and DCR value are ideal for the circuit. Furthermore, if the selected choke is a good choice, how do I determine capacitor size? I found the following formula
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/threads/calculation-capacitor-size.88110/

Is the calculated value good for this circuit? Would all four capacitors be the same size?

C=(10 X I) / Vr where I is in mA and C is in μF
=(10 X 430mA) / 24V
= 180μF

View attachment 67618

Circuit was from a choke datasheet I was considering. I added all comments in blue

The choke and capacitor depicted in your posting have nothing to do with smoothing the full-wave rectified output of the diode bridge to create 24VDC, let alone converting that to 5VDC. What are you trying to do?

As Mike said, the choke and capacitors don't do what you thought - they are simply high frequency filtering components.

The bridge rectifier converts the AC to DC, which (with a suitable capacitor on the output) will be a little less than 36V.

ibwev is being guided by what is written in a link in one of his posts from this thread:

https://www.electro-tech-online.com/threads/diode-sizing.130701/

At best, some of the information in the link is a bit off, and probably just plain wrong and should be avoided.
I suspect that it was written by someone with little knowledge of electronics.

JimB

I am sorry to show my ignorance. I am trying to convert 24VAC to Direct Current where I will probably use a voltage regulator to reduce the current to 5 volts. JimB is correct but I did not follow that article. I incorrectly assumed that the wiring schematic in the datasheet of one on the chokes I was looking at pertained to altering AC to DC. Some of the information I have read suggested using diodes to create the direct current, a choke to filter the noise and a capacitor to smooth the current. Could anybody offer me any information on how to properly do this?

Watch the three videos here.

dimension of choke depends on your requirement. e.g. current and inductance and DCR, there are AC current and DC current requirement in a choke, there are commom mode choke and storage energy inductor and PFC inductor and difference mode choke and filter about choke range.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back