Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Checking Motor windings

Status
Not open for further replies.

vishwakrishnan

I want to check the whether the windings of an AC motor is Ok or not?

What is the simplest way to do that?

Any laymen should able to understand and check on his own?

measure the resistance of the windings i guess?

things said:
measure the resistance of the windings i guess?

That only checks if the windings are O/C or not, if they have shorted turns it won't be detected. To check for shorted turns you can 'ring' the coil, you can buy kits for this - actually for checking line output transformers, but they work on any reasonable coil - it will also prove if the coil is O/C as well.

plug it in:D :D (no don't unless it's allright)

things said:
plug it in:D :D (no don't unless it's allright)

Come on things you can do better than that.:p

How does he know if its 'allright' if hasn't been able test it?:confused:

What sort of AC motor is this?

Three phase?

If so then all the coils should have the same impedance.

Remove the rotor (so there's no loading) and test each coil individually by connecting it up to the output of a 24VAC transformer. Measure the current through each coil separately, you should get similar readings from each coil, if one's out by more than about 5% then I would consider re-winding it or replacing it if re-winding isn't an economically viable solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back