Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Cheapo (TEAPO) caps!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mickster

Most Helpful Member
Just spent the best part of an hour or so off-line due to these pieces of trash!

I have a Belkin G+MIMO wireless modem/router, which serves the household for our internet needs. In the last few months, it has needed more frequent resets than have been normally required in the past.

This evening revealed why:
The offending items...
Shite_Caps1.PNG

Attachments

• Shite_Caps2.PNG
    Shite_Caps2.PNG
    159.6 KB · Views: 302
  • Shite_Caps3.PNG
    Shite_Caps3.PNG
    165.6 KB · Views: 279
Yeah - those seem to be among the "bad caps" out there - according to a quick google search. Care to elaborate how you narrowed it down to those caps?

Care to elaborate how you narrowed it down to those caps?

The tops are more bulged out than normal.

Could be worse. This companys line of products tells you what they think of you right in their first four letters of their name!

**broken link removed** :D

Last edited:
Care to elaborate how you narrowed it down to those caps?

TCM got it.....after popping open the case, used the good old Mk1 eyeball!
The top of the black one ( 470uf 10V, found on the power supply side near the input jack) has bulged as far as it actually split and oozed.
The green one ( 220uf 16V, found near the ADSL input jack) has just bulged.

I replaced them with identical value caps which had been scavenged from who knows where, simply because they were close at hand and I wasn't 100% sure they were the sole problem. It worked and is still working (it is on 24/7) but if it happens again I will know what to replace with new ones first.

You would think Belkin would use better quality parts. I have a few graphics cards laying here with caps that look the same. Junk, just plain cheap junk!

Ron

Bad caps are in everything, last I checked! Took apart a CD drive yesterday that had some Capxons in it - weren't popped yet, but they looked like they wanted to! I've fixed ~3 monitors with bad caps on the PSU, a video card, and a DTV converter...

I think it's a win-win for the companies, because they can sell their crap for less (cheaper caps), plus their stuff breaks more often, so people come back to buy more! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back