Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Cheapeth Mastercraft Analogue Multimeter 20$ vs digital 40$

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello folks, I can't afford a Fluke right now but nevertheless, I need some decent accurate readings...

I bought a cheap multimeter at Canadian Tire last sumer, I think it cost 10$ or 20$
Doesn't seem very realiable to me... I try to read a resistor, it barely moves and when it does it don't come still to a value LOL..

There's a multimeter and I think it's a mastercraft too, it's 40 or 50$.. hell maybe 60$.. and it's digital at least...

Would it be good enough, at least to do some DIY electronics and starting some EE tech courses this fall ? lol

I'll get a real one in a couple of moth (Fluke 87 i beleive), but right now it's not in my budget.

Looking foward to your replies.
And pardon my english I'm quebecer :)

edit: also, when I want to select the OHM reader, I get to select one of 2 positions; RXIO and RXIK, when I try to mesure a resistor, RXIO won't move at all, when I touch the leads togetter it's goes to inf. What are those 2 settings ??

Thanks guys,
-F

Last edited:
I'm surprised the digital meter is more expensive. In my experience analogue meters are now generally more expensive than digital. I know it used to be the other way round but cheap semiconductors have reversed the situation.

It depends on what you want it for?

Analogue meters tend to be more robust and they don't need a battery for measuring voltage and current with, only the resistance setting needs power.

Digital meters are more sensitive and accurate but they need a battery for all of the settings. Modern digital meters also tend to come with other functions such as a frequency counter and capacitance.

I don't have much experience with analogue meters, I've never owned one and have only used one at school, work and college.

I'd recommend the digital but some of the older members might disagree with me.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back