Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Cheaper PCBs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roxanne

Hi Everyone

I found this new PCB site that claims
to be a lot cheaper has anybody used them before, I see they based in ireland

Last edited:
I know one very cheap place too. They are based in Romania.

Are you using them commercially or as a hobby ? I use the pre drilled with 22awg wire. I saw a video of making your own custom printed boards and to me they look like crap and almost always an error is made. I incorporate my custom boards into my electrical work, I make steppers for motors, power supplies, product counters, timers and alarms and they look so much nicer so long as you square everything off on the bottom.

I get pretty good results etching my own boards, and it's a lot cheaper than sending one out. Seldom make more than 5 or 6 of any design in a batch. My not be as nice as professional house boards, but only a fraction of the cost, and it'll be hidden in a box eventually. Doesn't make a difference in function. If you send out a faulty design, you get faulty boards. Make your own, you get to test your design, and revise, before committing it to the high cost of getting them made professionally. I use toner-transfer, a laminator, and a drill press. The board stock is thin, and cuts easy on a paper cutter, also etches and drills quick and easy. I've taken a design from the computer, printed, transferred, etched, drilled, soldered, and tested, in just under an hour (rush job for a friend and a party). Making one or two boards occasionally at home isn't really a bad deal, and if you want a batch of factory boards, you know your design is solid, before you submit it.

Hi Everyone

I found this new PCB site that claims
to be a lot cheaper has anybody used them before, I see they based in ireland (Beginning of the week)

sorry to be so......... cynical but when a persons first post starts with hey i found this site................ a certain processed meat always springs to mind!

Well ghostman ,maybe you can let us know where you get your cheap PCBs from ,maybe its my first post because its my first time checking out this forum ,mr synical :)

misterT do you have the URL Im a student so I could sure use a cheaper source, also do you know if they ship worldwide

FAST PCB PROTOTYPES FOR 30 EUR

Not very impressive website, but very hobbyist friendly PCB manufacturer. I have used them several times and the quality is good enough.
I needed some QFN packages in my board and thats why I decided to get the PCBs manufactured.. boards worked ok after I learned how to solder the QFN with a heating plate.
My first post was supposed to be sarcastic because you (Roxanne) forgot to mention the name of this cheap Irish company :) .. or maybe the spam was moderated?

Last edited:
Well ghostman ,maybe you can let us know where you get your cheap PCBs from ,maybe its my first post because its my first time checking out this forum ,mr synical :)

dont take what i said the wrong way. once you been here a while you will see exactly what i was saying :D
now we know your a student looking for cheap sources, before you looked like a processed meat peddler! however you are correct saying i am cynical i own up to that! i am also old bald and ugly!! with smelly feet :D:D:D as for boards i am in the process of getting "stuff" together to make pcb's wich because i am handicapped at the mo will probaly be using the photo resist method. currently i mainly use stripboard. a big welcome to the forum by the way, its a great place here and i am sure you will enjoy. i should also add i have a somewhat dry unusal sense of humour so best not to take me too seriously ;)

dont take what i said the wrong way. once you been here a while you will see exactly what i was saying :D
now we know your a student looking for cheap sources, before you looked like a processed meat peddler! however you are correct saying i am cynical i own up to that! i am also old bald and ugly!! with smelly feet :D:D:D as for boards i am in the process of getting "stuff" together to make pcb's wich because i am handicapped at the mo will probaly be using the photo resist method. currently i mainly use stripboard. a big welcome to the forum by the way, its a great place here and i am sure you will enjoy. i should also add i have a somewhat dry unusal sense of humour so best not to take me too seriously ;)

Ghostman you sound like a legend, respect on not letting anything get you down !
Didnt expect to get so many replies on this particular topic, where u getting your boards from atm if you dont mind me asking or do you make your own, Im very keen to do that but it looks like abit of a mission

harvey im very keen on making my own boards soon , I just struggle with the time at the moment, would be legend tho

i am just getting the kit together to make my own, first i am going to try the laminator way. i am currently looking into how to hack my laminator to get a bit more heat from it :D

i am just getting the kit together to make my own, first i am going to try the laminator way. i am currently looking into how to hack my laminator to get a bit more heat from it :D

The laminator is the way to go. Mine worked out good, right out of the box, lucky I guess. It's a 4" GNC, $25 surplus. I use some paper-thin board, think it's 1/2 ounce copper as well. Etches quick drills easy, but mostly, I like using a paper cutter to shape the boards, rather than a saw. Also use the Pulsar paper. I think maybe the thin board doesn't need as much heat. Haven't tried thicker stock, as I bought a large supply from surplus (didn't know how long they'd have it).

I tried in vain, using a clothes iron, and ever type paper I could find around the house, and every suggestion on the web, and only got two boards, barely usable. Just so many variables and unknowns, and even those who use the scrap paper and cloths iron, will tell you it takes some time, ironing, soaking off the paper, cleaning off the pulp, and touching up with a marker. I have no doubts that it can be done, and done well. I'm a little lazy, and just want to get the board done, so look more for the quick and simple. I think the only simpler method, would be a CNC drill and router setup, but kind of expensive.

I had a message in my email from Roxanne and It said I called her cynical....... I thought, I would never dis respect anyone like that. So now I learned I get a message whenever someone posts a reply to a thread. I get it. I still like my way but then again Im a controls electrician and I dont think the same as the pro's in here I guess, but my boards are hand soldered leads up through and back down before solder for strain releif and everything is squared off perfect. Like my control panels. But I'm only in it for the hobby.

How do you guys search for your PCB manufacturers? Do you just use Google, Thomas register, or MFG.com?

What criteria do make a manufacturer match up to? What are your biggest concerns: price, quantity, quality, certification, speed, or service?

Laser printing onto magazine paper and then ironing it on the copper works really good for the diy method. I've got down to 6 mil lines with that. Some projects are just hard without plated through holes though. **broken link removed** has some pretty good prices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back