Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Cheap vacuum pump for vacuum tweezers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi!

I have <this> cheap pick-up pen, but it doesn't work properly: it loses vacuum quickly so my SMD parts fall off before I reach "destination"; without rubber caps this thing doesn't work at all! So I wonder can I attach small (electric) vacuum pump instead of rubber chamber inside of the pen? I need cheap solution (of course) and I found <this> small aquarium aeration pump; I wonder does anybody have experience with this "toy" and can it do the job?

I found also some more expensive (and more powerful, which I can use for etchant agitation too) diaphragm-pump (10 bucks) like this:
10$ Power pump
but one seller claims it is not suitable for AIR, and the other that it works fine with water AND air??? What you experts think?

TIA!

I doubt the first pump is a candidate because there s no port for vacuum.

The last one looks fine because its good for water or air and has a port for the vacuum side.

Thanks for reply KeepItSimpleStupid!

Smaller (and cheaper) pump, according to drawings, has input port (marked as "Inlet"), as I understand, it should have it as membrane pump.

So, you think that second pump can work with air? That's great, 10$ is a big money to me, so I must be 100% sure! Sellers haven't a clue about these pumps (why I'm not surprised:mad:?), so I tend to trust you as an expert:)!

But, please, take a second look at the first pump, it has input port (hidden on the opposite side of the output)!

THX!

"Inlet" is located (at least I think so) a little right and down from letters "LTD", but OK.

Yes, it is clearly stated that "it can work with water and air", but in communication with other seller - he (or she) claims it can't/shouldn't work with air, and in the title (and description) for the same pump there is only water mentioned, e.g.: <THIS PUMP>

That's confusing me, but if you think it is ok, I will take it (if smaller one isn't good)!

Another concern for me is can I ruin (burn) this pump if I run it for a longer time, especially if it is not suited for air!?:confused:

Frankly, I don't see a reason why that type of pump (with diaphragm) could not work with both, air and water, even oils and so on!

Have you got a refrigerator repair shop nearby? the small refrigerator pumps put out/pull in a good vacuum. I've used them for small air-brush compressors and for
vacuum molding. Most can be had for free after the freon is removed.

Thanks Joe G for idea!

I try to avoid refrigerator compressor, because it is too big, and I have to make proper housing and isolation from mains. I just need pretty small vacuum for pick-up pen, preferably low voltage pump. But for air-brush or PCB etchant agitation it is worthwhile! With that second pump from ebay (if it works with air without troubles) I get pump ready-to-use for both, at an affordable price!

You could use a salvaged 12V vac pump from an 80s BMW. its used to boost the vacuum for the cruise control. This pretty neat as it has a Vac switch that turns it off when it has sufficient vacuum.

Attachments

• 12V VAC PUMP.1.JPG
    12V VAC PUMP.1.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 201
  • 12V VAC PUMP.2.JPG
    12V VAC PUMP.2.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 174
Yes! As I heard, many cars from 80's had vacuum pump as "brake assist"! I searched around already, but with no success. Also some "central locking" mechanisms use vacuum (no success with them too).

Yes, one can modify cheap aquarium pumps, but not all types. Allegedly, newer pumps are not suitable for modifying, but rather some older design diaphragm pumps. I found tons of instructables about that, but I didn't found good enough (for me) solution with cheap pumps - with better (stronger) pumps you can get great results, even for etching solution agitation, but for significantly higher price. Here we come to my first post, and ready to use 10$ powerful pump that doesn't require any modifications - moreover, those are low-voltage pumps! Only problem - can those securely and reliably work with air - I get contradictory answers from ebay sellers...:confused:
(Please sorry again, my English is far from good!)

Well, I thought I saw air with that pump. I looked here https://www.aliexpress.com/item/HOT...0L-H-1-6AMP-Diaphragm-pump/601263789.html?s=p and it definately says water.

Here https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Nic...ump-pump-oxygenated-above-70ml/615558814.html is a real diagram of the second pump. Your right, there is a port.

BTW, I have ordered from Aliexpress before. A different kind of business model. You pay Aliexpress, but deal directly with the sellers. Once you confirm satisfactory shipment, the sellers are paid. A lot of this stuff ends up on ebay as well.

I found this https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Mini-Vacuum-Pump-30Kpan-2L-min-DC6V/495674884.html on aliexpress. take a look. There are others.

Or you can just buy a cheap pickup system: **broken link removed** . Search for vacuum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back