Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Cheap STM32 modules

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nigel Goodwin

Super Moderator
Most Helpful Member
Anyone used these cheap 32 bit 72MHz ST based modules, same size as an Arduino Nano, but a LOT faster, and cheap as anything.

I've just had some come, they only cost £1.46 each.

So far I've just confirmed they work OK, by uploading the usual 'blink' program via the Arduino IDE. which you can install STM32 support for.

stm32f103c8t6_pinout_voltage.png

Never used one but I've just ordered a few - probably stick them on the shelf with the other couple of hundred Chinese modules I've bought on impulse ..... ;)

Amazing coincidence... I just received my first pair of these boards yesterday ($1.68 each, including shipping), along with an STLink v2 programmer ($1.94). I tested both boards last night by uploading the 'blink' sketch.

I'm looking forward to lots of reading and research...

Cheerful regards, Mike

Amazing coincidence... I just received my first pair of these boards yesterday ($1.68 each, including shipping), along with an STLink v2 programmer ($1.94). I tested both boards last night by uploading the 'blink' sketch.

I'm just using the Arduino IDE and an FTDI USB/Serial converter.

Just too cheap to turn down aren't they :D

... I just received my first pair of these boards yesterday ($1.68 each, including shipping), along with an STLink v2 programmer ($1.94)...

Mike, where did you buy them?
How do you tell the Arduino compiler to target this processor?

I ordered mine from a vendor on AliExpress. Prices seem to be hovering around $1.75 or $1.76 now (prices are somewhat dynamic). Lots of info'... google "STM32F103C8T6 & Arduino"... Checkout the STM32Duino Forum, download Roger Clark's STM32 github repo', drop it into the Arduino 'hardware' folder, select your board in the Arduino IDE, and go...

Nigel, I got the STLink v2 programmer because I ordered a handful of the little "minimal STM8 development boards" (66¢ each) which require a programmer. The vendor actually sent me an extra STM8 board for free. Anyway, the STLink v2 also works very simply and nicely with the STM32 boards so I think it will be a good investment.

Nigel, I got the STLink v2 programmer because I ordered a handful of the little "minimal STM8 development boards" (66¢ each) which require a programmer. The vendor actually sent me an extra STM8 board for free. Anyway, the STLink v2 also works very simply and nicely with the STM32 boards so I think it will be a good investment.

Well it was certainly cheap enough :p

In fact it makes me think about ordering one, and I'll check out the STM8 boards as well.

I use the STM32, but I have not had much use for these modules as I program/debug them directly. I have been doing some Arduino stuff, though. Does the smaller modules with the Stm32f030 support the Arduino environment?

They look pretty cool, though.

I use the STM32, but I have not had much use for these modules as I program/debug them directly. I have been doing some Arduino stuff, though. Does the smaller modules with the Stm32f030 support the Arduino environment?

The module I posted above uses the STM32F103C8T6, and that's supported by the Arduino IDE.

Have a look at:

https://grauonline.de/wordpress/?page_id=1004

Here's a screen dump of the Arduino IDE board selector after installing the STM32 support.

Arduino_STM.png

Where are you getting them from Nigel? Would be very rude not to get some at that price!

Not sure if its an error or not, does it have 3 or 4 serial on it? it shows 4 but two are named the same. Having said that even 3 RS232 ports cant be sniffed at.

I presume it's got three, and that one of them can be allocated to alternate pins.
That is some kit for a mad amount of money!! My first thought was the chip must be a rip off, but even if it was............ Not played with the STM before, got to be worth a go :D.

Looking back at old threads with the pic 32, hard to believe we can now pick up kit like this for less than COSTA arm coffee!

I like RS232, having 3 on one chip to play with appeals to my sense of fun! Exams around the corner, so not doing my odd jobs, will need to wait to get a couple.

Funny thing is I just had to pay out for some drawing pens for my design exams, they cost more than the ST board!! Wish I had got the board instead now lol :p

I know :D

I didn't need them, I didn't want them - but they were too cheap to turn down!.
Totally agree, at that price its extremely rude not to buy some. It would be like turning down a free drink from your FIL.

Also cheaper than most paper weights....... or door stops :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back