Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Cheap PIC Programmer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mindctrl

Hi everybody,

I'd like to get a PIC programmer, but I'm not entirely sure I want to shell out 70 bucks for a USB one... Serial would work just fine, I'm sure.

Does anybody know where I can get a good, yet inexpensive programmer? An assembled one would be fantastic, but a kit works good too. I'm not afraid of a soldering iron.

I would need the programmer to be able to program the 16F, and the 18F. Thanks. :D

--mindctrl

How about this
**broken link removed**

Very cheap only 35$.

williB said:
this is from nigel's site.
it is a parallel programmer.
More clearly it is a serial PIC programmer using parallel port.

"Parallel" programming in PIC world is refered to EPROM programming method of 17x series of PICs in which address and data are fed to PIC in parallel fashion through its 8-bit ports.

mindctrl said:
Hi everybody,

I'd like to get a PIC programmer, but I'm not entirely sure I want to shell out 70 bucks for a USB one... Serial would work just fine, I'm sure.

Does anybody know where I can get a good, yet inexpensive programmer? An assembled one would be fantastic, but a kit works good too. I'm not afraid of a soldering iron.

The vast majority of (so called) USB programmers are in actual fact just serial port programmers, with a USB/Serial converter chip stuck on the front.

Have a look at https://kitsrus.com/upuc.html they have distributers all round the world.

kinjalgp said:
williB said:
this is from nigel's site.
it is a parallel programmer.
More clearly it is a serial PIC programmer using parallel port.

"Parallel" programming in PIC world is refered to EPROM programming method of 17x series of PICs in which address and data are fed to PIC in parallel fashion through its 8-bit ports.
thats what i ment :) parallel Port programmer.. :)

**broken link removed**
I bought the one above. It was $10 I think. I have not used mine yet though so I can't tell you how well it works, but I wouldn't think it would be bad.

You program it with a free program ICPROG.
Good luck.
~Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back