Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Cheap multimeter with AC/DC amps and inrush?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fastline

I use a Fluke 336, LOVE IT!! But, I need to get my dad something for Christmas and he is not exactly electrically minded and buying him a new 336 is pricey and probably a waste. Just curious if there are and cheaper meter lines to look at that are pretty capable? He really wants auto ranging. I also use a Craftsman meter on my bench and I will admit, it usually works pretty good and is accurate for the money.

The biggest "feature" I would like my Flukes to have (which they dont) is to protect me from myself when I plug the lead into the current measurement hole, and then forget to move it back prior to measuring Voltage. Those 10A special fuses get damned expensive.

The 336 is a clamp on meter so no chance of that. I acually did that with another meter trying to test voltage on a main service panel. Did some welding and could not see for 5 min..... My meter leads were just little blobs.... I now ONLY use my fluke for main service type work and leave the other meters on the bench.. Now my Craftman does alarm out if it is in the amps plug and you switch it to volts which is a really good feature.

That alarm feature for the amps mode on the Craftsman is a great idea. Is that meter auto-ranging? If so may be a good one for your Dad.

Just about any meter with auto-ranging would probably meet your Dad's needs. Some do additional measurements, like capacitance, or frequency, but don't know that he would use those.

The biggest "feature" I would like my Flukes to have (which they dont) is to protect me from myself when I plug the lead into the current measurement hole, and then forget to move it back prior to measuring Voltage. Those 10A special fuses get damned expensive.

My 75 has not blown one yet (luckily). My current project has me constantly switching between reading Volts and Amps. And I have forgotten a few times to change the leads around.

I am so used to using my trusty YEW for repairing TV's......I almost forgot my poor old Fluke and how to use it with my new project where I need digital accuracy and all.

Cheers

Guys, I am looking for one with the amp clamp style and inrush testing. I am finding inrush and DC amps harder to find cheap. However, I am second guessing the inrush since my dad probably will not understand and will call me anyway....lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back