Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Cheap Lightweight Robot Battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

cosmonavt

I am in search of a cheap and lightweight robot battery. The robot will be in operation for no more than 2 minutes and will drive two 12 V motors both rated at no more that 0.3 Ampere.

Apart from this, the batteries will power an Atmega 16 Microcontroller and some other small ICs (in an H bridge).

Which battery should I go for?

I will be using a LM7805 and an LM7812 voltage regulator. Do voltage regulators increase the amp hours (since the voltage is reduced) or only the amperage?

I will be using a LM7805 and an LM7812 voltage regulator. Do voltage regulators increase the amp hours (since the voltage is reduced) or only the amperage?

No need of regulator if there is 12V Battery
Do voltage regulators increase the amp hours (since the voltage is reduced) or only the amperage?
NO it will loss your battery power.

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

Oh I misread. Rs 530 for that black one. Good one, but still expensive. There are some Chinese toys costing around only Rs 2000 (like RC helicopters). They contain such batteries too. Then how in heavens name can only this battery be 530 rs? O.O

Oh I misread. Rs 530 for that black one. Good one, but still expensive. There are some Chinese toys costing around only Rs 2000 (like RC helicopters). They contain such batteries too. Then how in heavens name can only this battery be 530 rs? O.O

iT DEPEND ON QUALITY ALSO..

As has already been noted (but I will note it again, with some details), LM-series voltage regulators will decrease your amp-hours, not increase it. They work by keeping the regulation of the voltage constant, even if the voltage of the battery drops as it is being used. In the case of the 7805, 7 volts must be "dumped", and this happens in the form of heat (you might want a heatsink on that regulator). Also, while the battery is 12 volts, if you are powering anything besides the motors that needs a regulated 12 volts, then keep the regulator - otherwise, if it is only the motors that need 12 volts, lose it (it won't help you - unless you need a constant 12 volts for those motors for some reason).

Now - if you want the greatest amp-hours from the battery - look into using an LDO (low drop-out) regulator, or even better, a switching regulator - for use in place of the LM7805 (there is a "drop-in" replacement switching regulator for the 7805 out there, but it isn't cheap - about $15.00 USD each). You might also look into use a BEC (battery eliminator circuit), which is essentially a small switching regulator module for powering generally 5 volt devices in the radio-control world; generally for the receiver on a plane or such.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back