Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Cheap, easy ideas for motor speed control. Maintain full torque.

Status
Not open for further replies.

fastline

I am building a device that I need some level of speed control. I have tried to use a variable voltage control on a shaded pole motor and the torque loss makes it nearly impossible to get much variance without stalling. I know that cap start motors will not work but I think an AC shaded pole with a real variable frequency system would work.

I realize maybe the 'right' way would be a real VFD with a 3ph motor but this is a rather mundane device that does not warrant much expense.

Then I started thinking about maybe a brushless DC motor setup but just not sure. I really don't have an accurate estimate for torque requirements but due to the gear reduction design, it won't take much.

Basic parameters might be approx 1/4hp, final drive or the 'pto' variable from 40-150rpm, continuous long lasting design. I am not sure a brush DC motor is really right for this.

I have a 1/6hp AC shaded pole motor that I might use but it really comes down to how to speed modulate the motor with variable frequency.

I don't think you'll have much success by controlling voltage only. You'll need to control frequency as well.

In a constant torque scenario for an induction motor, one generally keeps the voltage proportional to frequency, so that at half the rated frequency, you have half the rated voltage. That's a bit of a simplification, because it doesn't account for fixed losses, but it should be a reasonable starting point.

Last edited:
DC brushed motor and a KB or Baldor drive, they can be had on ebay quite often.
Or a $5 $10 PWM controller off ebay.
Max.

Last edited:
Rotary disk speed control is possible or shaft encoder to set speed and variable phase Triac.

Torque available rises from loading at 90% speed at 100% torque to 200% under peaking at 70% RPM then drops rapidly to 100% torque at 40% max speed with another 3rd harmonic hump peak at 100% torque at 20% speed then drops to 40% at stall speed. Efficiency is only 20~40% for this lowest cost AC motor.

A dc brush gear motor is by far the easiest and cheapest, the only reason not to have a brush motor is longevity, a simple circuit can be built for torque/speed control
If you really want bldc then how about a r/c esc (electronic speed control) you can use these with just about any motor that runs at low voltage.

The essence of any good design starts with clearly defined specs on what you need.
Torque range, speed range, inertia or load, cost, R&D effort & time, power source options.
Then step load response starting and applied load. RPM vs step torque

From this you can select power, budget, engine and a control system, then controller, feedback and detailed design.

Anything else I missed can be added. Without this systematic approach, you will have too many surprises, which are inevitable. Murphy's Law.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back