Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Cheap counter to count to 10k

Status
Not open for further replies.

windozeuser

I was seeking advice/suggestions on a way to build either discrete counter that can count from zero to 10,000 or use a Pic/LCD, or seven segment displays.

Basically it would be counting every time a beam is tripped.... Not sure if I could cascade to handle 10,000? Would seven-segment display be too complex if I have to have 10 of these counters?

Thanks for any advice

not sure what you mean,
counting is simple, there are many designs all over internet.

if you need to count ONE process to 5 digits, this is easy using either 7seg or LCD
if you want to count 10 processes, each to 5 digits, it is also not hard but interfacing to something that displays it may not be.
one simple way is to use LCD character display with multiple lines.
you can multiplex too but first what is your experience level?

I've built a few counters before but nothing that goes over 99 lol, I need it to be about to count up to around 10,000. Its counting one event, I need a cheap solution, I wanted to use a microcontroller but it needs to need minimum external circuitry, was looking into the PIC16F145X, not sure if there is a better/cheaper solution or to go discrete. I need to build 10 of these individually so cost may be an issue

The 14 bit 4020 counter looks promising

Last edited:
but how would you display result from 4020, it is binary value that need to be converted to BCD, then use BCD to 7seg drivers etc.
also how long is the pulse and what is the frequency? how readable it needs to be?

cheap and little assembly is to use LCD display and microcontroller, and you can get good readability with background light. downside is you need to program it (learning curve). if you did this before you would not need advice you would probably go this way already.

a bit more wiring is to get several 7-seg displays and combine them into 10-digit unit. again requires programming if using microcontroller. no programming if you are using cascade of digital chips. nice thing is that those are easily readable from across the room.

if you are using TTL chips (no fear of static electricity), for each digit you need decade counter such as 7490 and decoder/driver such as 7447.
if you need to latch display while counter is running (maybe keep last counted value), then you need also set of latches between the two.

if you are using CMOS, you need decade counter such as 74HC90 or some 4xxxx version and 4510 or 4511 decoder/driver (this one comes with built in lath, in case you need such functionality).

still simpler is to use CD40110 from TI, this combines counter and driver into one chip. so for 10-digit counter, you need ten of these chips and ten 7-seg displays.

there may be dedicated chips that do just this and you only connect display but they are probably hard to source these days because low cost and power of MCUs resulted in their demise.

Last edited:
I've built a few counters before but nothing that goes over 99 lol, I need it to be about to count up to around 10,000. Its counting one event, I need a cheap solution, I wanted to use a microcontroller but it needs to need minimum external circuitry, was looking into the PIC16F145X, not sure if there is a better/cheaper solution or to go discrete. I need to build 10 of these individually so cost may be an issue

The 14 bit 4020 counter looks promising

What did you use for your 99 counter? Cascade two of those and it will take you to 9,999.

If you need ten of these things I would look to a simple off the shelf solution. How large must the digits be? I use units like this example all the time. They come in a variety of configurations for example dry contact in or a voltage pulse to increment the count. They offer simple remote reset. Really depends on what you want. They typically cost around $25 USD per copy. There may even be plenty of similar units from China costing less. You are looking at a Totalizator Counter. Powered from an internal battery they run about 15 years.

Ron

Thanks everyone,

It will be counting something that is human operated like once every few seconds.

I have a bunch of these 74F374 D flip-flops laying around like over 50 chips.. If I recall you can make counters out of D flip flops rights?

Ron that pre-made unit is awesome :), I kinda wanted to build these from scratch though as a learning experience in layout and soldering and stuff

Yes, you can make a counter with D flip-flops, but it is only practical if you have the Q-not output. The 374 only has the Q output available. You could use an inverter for each bit, if you really want to use those parts. Also, that will make a binary counter. You will need to add extra gating to make it a decade counter, or make a binary to decade converter.

If you want to do it in hardware, far easier would be to use a decade counter IC such as the 74HC160 or similar. Then a 74HC4511 to drive the 7-segment LED.

But a microcontroller would be the best way. That way you get to learn hardware and software.

Ah thanks :)

I do have a PIC 16F88 I have it in a programmer board that has all the necessary circuity, but I have some PIC experience but I want the PIC to be in the circuit standalone, but I dont want to buy crystals and external support circuitry for 10 units. Is there a way or a certain PIC that would help me in this aspect?

Many of the PIC processors, including the F88, have internal oscillators, eliminating the need for a crystal.

Would you be interested in doing something like this (a slightly modified version of the K8LH Serial LCD V3 Backpack)? It can use a Hitachi HD44780 or compatible LCD display and almost any 8-pin PIC (12F617, 12F629, 12F635, 12F675, 12F683, 12F1822, 12F1840, etc.).

**broken link removed**

Come to think of it... Roman's (Mr. RB's) Shift-1 LCD Interface could be programmed quite easily for your application. He sells a kit for $12 (you still need to buy an LCD). Shipping charges from Australia to USA are murder but maybe he's got a USA distributor???

Of course you could use your 16F88 or the much less expensive 16F1827 or perhaps even a 14-pin 16F1823 along with a 74HC595 or TPIC6C595 (segment driver) and a pair of $1.95 red, green, or white 4-digit displays from Sparkfun. They also have a blue display (pictured below) for $2.50.

Cheerful regards, Mike

Last edited:
well the blue display wins points... ;-)

Wow thanks I'm working on it today :) if I run into any trouble do you mind helping out? This is a work in progress and learning experience :)

Blue display is sexy too haha

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back